Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is everything a concept?

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    Centripetal acceleration is a concept. Can we say calculators,t.v. remotes are also concepts.

OR only the intangible things are concepts (such as torque, centripetal acceleration)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    I would say, with caution, yes. We are not privy to 'reality', only observations. We create concepts to rationalize our observations. In this sense, observations are the only 'thing' thats not a concept.

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The idea of a "t.v. remote" (what Plato would have called an "ideal") is a concept. A specific t.v. remote in your hand or sitting beside you is not.

5. Feb 20, 2012 #4
    I just dropped a cup. That instance of centripetal acceleration was not conceptual. Correct?

6. Feb 20, 2012 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

cs23, I suggest you start with looking up the meaning of the word "concept" in the dictionary. Do not be satisfied with just one dictionary...check severarl different ones to get a good idea of the meaning of "concept". Then you can decide for yourself if something fits the definition or not.

7. Feb 20, 2012 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

No. We use the word to refer to the event itself, even though it references a concept that is not necessarily the event; we just take for granted that it is. So one can study centripetal acceleration as a concept, but you can also actually experience it as a real event.

8. Feb 20, 2012 #7
    How do i know if something is a concept?

9. Feb 20, 2012 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

10. Feb 20, 2012 #9
  11. Feb 20, 2012 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook