Is everything a concept?

• Thread starter cs23
  • Start date
Centripetal acceleration is a concept. Can we say calculators,t.v. remotes are also concepts.

OR only the intangible things are concepts (such as torque, centripetal acceleration)

Answers and Replies

I would say, with caution, yes. We are not privy to 'reality', only observations. We create concepts to rationalize our observations. In this sense, observations are the only 'thing' thats not a concept.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The idea of a "t.v. remote" (what Plato would have called an "ideal") is a concept. A specific t.v. remote in your hand or sitting beside you is not.

The idea of a "t.v. remote" (what Plato would have called an "ideal") is a concept. A specific t.v. remote in your hand or sitting beside you is not.
I just dropped a cup. That instance of centripetal acceleration was not conceptual. Correct?

Bobbywhy
Gold Member
cs23, I suggest you start with looking up the meaning of the word "concept" in the dictionary. Do not be satisfied with just one dictionary...check severarl different ones to get a good idea of the meaning of "concept". Then you can decide for yourself if something fits the definition or not.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I just dropped a cup. That instance of centripetal acceleration was not conceptual. Correct?
No. We use the word to refer to the event itself, even though it references a concept that is not necessarily the event; we just take for granted that it is. So one can study centripetal acceleration as a concept, but you can also actually experience it as a real event.

How do i know if something is a concept?