Is everything a concept?

• Thread starter cs23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary: Thank you.In summary, Centripetal acceleration is a concept. Can we say calculators,t.v. remotes are also concepts.
cs23
Centripetal acceleration is a concept. Can we say calculators,t.v. remotes are also concepts.

OR only the intangible things are concepts (such as torque, centripetal acceleration)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say, with caution, yes. We are not privy to 'reality', only observations. We create concepts to rationalize our observations. In this sense, observations are the only 'thing' that's not a concept.

The idea of a "t.v. remote" (what Plato would have called an "ideal") is a concept. A specific t.v. remote in your hand or sitting beside you is not.

HallsofIvy said:
The idea of a "t.v. remote" (what Plato would have called an "ideal") is a concept. A specific t.v. remote in your hand or sitting beside you is not.
I just dropped a cup. That instance of centripetal acceleration was not conceptual. Correct?

cs23, I suggest you start with looking up the meaning of the word "concept" in the dictionary. Do not be satisfied with just one dictionary...check severarl different ones to get a good idea of the meaning of "concept". Then you can decide for yourself if something fits the definition or not.

zoobyshoe said:
I just dropped a cup. That instance of centripetal acceleration was not conceptual. Correct?

No. We use the word to refer to the event itself, even though it references a concept that is not necessarily the event; we just take for granted that it is. So one can study centripetal acceleration as a concept, but you can also actually experience it as a real event.

How do i know if something is a concept?

1. What is a concept?

A concept is a general idea, thought, or understanding of something. It is a mental representation that helps us make sense of the world and categorize information.

2. Is everything a concept?

This question is up for debate and depends on one's philosophical perspective. Some argue that everything in the universe can be reduced to a concept, while others believe that there are things that exist outside of our conceptual understanding.

3. How are concepts formed?

Concepts are formed through a process called conceptualization, in which we identify common characteristics among objects, ideas, or experiences and create a mental category for them.

4. Can concepts change over time?

Yes, concepts can change over time as our understanding and experiences evolve. We may refine or expand our concepts as we learn more information or encounter new perspectives.

5. How do concepts impact scientific research?

Concepts play a crucial role in scientific research as they help scientists organize and interpret data, make predictions, and develop theories. However, it is important to critically evaluate and potentially revise concepts if new evidence challenges their validity.