Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is everything mathematical

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    I am wondering if every one of my moves and thoughts are mathematically linked to the beginning of time, and that changing this long chain of event is mathematically impossible.

A yes or no answer will do.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2
    edited, sorry for the dumb comment. :)
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  4. Jan 18, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. /* ....*/
  5. Jan 18, 2007 #4
    It simply was an argument i was engaged in, to prove that everything happens as a result of what happened prior to it, and whatever happens in the future, including our own thoughts and decisions, are part of a sequence of reactions dictated by the laws of physics.

But apparently not. This must be untrue and that there will always be uncertanty in the universe.
  6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    I think the answer is unresolved at this stage in time (although dominant QM interpretation is that everything is fundamentally random rather than determinate).
  7. Jan 18, 2007 #6
    From my point of view Yes.
    But followed by the laws and equations that are not yet discovered...
    About the QM , EPR paradox might be correct... Its not yet totally rejected.
  8. Jan 18, 2007 #7
    It depends on if you view the universe as having a fundamental set of objects/geometries/primitives and that the entire set obeys some set of rules(??countable/uncountable??)...

if yes then there will be no uncertainty and everything will be predictable...but infeasible for your lifespan.

else the universe would be made of infinitely many things of "infinitely" many small sizes.

Uncertainty is a result of "magic" or incomplete comprehension of the system.
  9. Jan 18, 2007 #8
    Extreamly beutifull neurocomp2003
  10. Jan 18, 2007 #9

Gold Member

Look up "classical Newtonian deterministic universe" and "quantum mechanics" and "Uncertainty".

The Newtonian world thought the answer was yes. The newer quantum world thinks the answer is no.
  11. Jan 18, 2007 #10
    I think yes. A single inhomogenity has developed the complexity of our Universe.
  12. Jan 18, 2007 #11
    I used to think yes, and I believed the universe was deterministic; but, since learning a little more about quantum mechanics, I have to say I'm not sure.
  13. Jan 18, 2007 #12
    yes, but big numbers and only if the universe is not infinite, find a boundry first. if those two thing can't be quantized then it's a no.
  14. Jan 18, 2007 #13
    The answer is yes, to say anything else is to have little faith in mathematics.

How silly that people think QM is relevant to Determinism.
  15. Jan 19, 2007 #14

Homework Helper

I don't see how it is relevant at all, to tell you the truth.
  16. Jan 19, 2007 #15
    So, if this prediction were exposed to us, we could deliberately change it. im thinking this is a problem.

If so, what happened to the predetermined universe? is it the existance of multiverses that allows randomness? or undeterminability? I really lose hours of sleep trying to answer myself.
  17. Jan 19, 2007 #16
    faith in math? i thought the thing about math is that it's either right, wrong or a conjecture not yet proven.
  18. Jan 19, 2007 #17
    Bannon: you are a part of the system, but in essence you be bring up the concept of psychology's free will...and if there exists free will then mostlikely you will be able to entice/change the system IF you were able to find out the laws of nature and hte universe.

but then again, as you and everyone else are a part of the system you would need to predict your behavior and everyone else's...unless you were talking about just altering a local region of space.
  19. Jan 19, 2007 #18
    How is it silly? Quantum mechanics is probabilistic and quantum interactions (to the best of our present knowledge) do not occur in deterministic ways, unlike interactions in the classical realm. And apparently there is something wrong with hidden variables theories, which argue that there may be deterministic behavior in the quantum realm, we just don't have all the knowledge to predict it.

So does God play dice with the universe? I think this is a relevant question when dealing with determinism.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  20. Jan 19, 2007 #19
    what happens you use something like chaos theory as representive of free will?
  21. Jan 19, 2007 #20
    Revisit of Leibnitz, who started this

Subject: Revisit of Leibnitz, who started this

The study of the future might be more relevant than the study of the past, but the study of the past is essential in discovering time-invariant elements in our universe or multi-universe, such as non-violable laws of nature. For example, science is backward looking, and social science is forward looking. [Chien Yi Lee on Self-creation]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?