Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Evolution realy true?

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    I for one am not sure that umnas have evolved from monkeys or apes however i am quit certain that natrul selection is true. i have read many arguments on how living things canot come from non living things, that would therefore imply a higher power, the creator of space and time. If there is a greater power than it would make sense that humans are the dominate species on earth and other monekys are still just moneys. It would then also imply that humans have more to them than just a body, i.e a soul or spirt.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fortunately the universe doesn;t care what you think
    See above
    I have heard many arguments that crystals heal and tax cuts for the rich are good for you - doesn't mean it's true.

How long would you (or monkeys) live with bacteria? How long would bacteria live without you?
    Unless the dominant power was cats - that would explain why humans are intelligently designed to open tins of cat food.
    Like cats?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    All I'm saying is that it is immposible for any body to disprove the presence of a soul or spirt, there is more evidence for them and none aginst them.

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What exactly is this "evidence"? Are you relying more on anecdotal evidence, which isn't scientific? Would you also argue that there are more scientific evidence in favor of "soul" than in favor of evolution? This is before we even discuss our ability to define what it is and how such a thing is measured.

Zz.

6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
    I believe Stratosphere is not serious :biggrin:
    I believe Zz is a virtual graviton, and it is impossible to disprove me, unless, of course, somebody reveals my physical location to Zz. :surprised

7. Mar 1, 2009 #6

sas3

Gold Member

Humans did not evolve from monkeys or apes: Human and monkeys and apes evolved from a common ancestor.
    I would not say that life cannot come from non-living things, I would say that it is very unlikely that the non-living can become alive, but seemingly impossible things happen all the time, given enough time and chance.
    The reason we are the dominate species on this planet is because we have the intelligence and ability to manipulate our environment not because we have a higher power looking out for us.
    As for a soul or spirit no one knows and why would it just be humans who have a soul and not other animals after all that is all that we are, and nothing more.
    So the answer is yes.

8. Mar 1, 2009 #7
    I thought humans and monkeys descend from trout. Or maybe salmon.

9. Mar 1, 2009 #8
    Evolution by Natural Selection does not say we evolved from monkeys or apes, it implies we share a relatively recent common ancestor with other species of primates that have happened to survive to contemporary times. It also implies we share a common ancestor with all lifeforms on Earth. It says nothing about biogenesis. It states that biological systems change over time, and provides a mechanism for this observed phenomenon. No magic involved.

It's impossible to disprove that we were all just created out of thin air 3 minutes ago, with fabricated memories of past experiences. This doesn't imply that there is evidence for that actually being the case.

10. Mar 1, 2009 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Humans are apes - the common ancestor of Hominidae would also be an ape.

11. Mar 1, 2009 #10
    One day the truth will be revealed...

12. Mar 1, 2009 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Okeedokee.

I realize that you are really young, 15? Perhaps some members will provide you with some good links to read. If you really think some mystical being placed us here, and aren't open to science, then I'm afraid there is not much hope. Do you sincerely want to learn?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  13. Mar 1, 2009 #12
    If humans really did evolve from apes/monkeys, than why don't we as humans keep evolving?Science always has a missing a link. Why?What is this missing link? I prefer not to go into detail about what i think it is due to the rules of the forums...But those are some questions that i ponder sometimes...

14. Mar 1, 2009 #13
    I am sure he respects your beliefs, you should do the same:)

15. Mar 1, 2009 #14

Evo

We branched off. Monkeys continue to be monkeys, we became humans. If you understood evolution you wouldn't be asking why we haven't continued to "evolve".

16. Mar 1, 2009 #15

Evo

Evolution has nothing to do with "beliefs".

17. Mar 1, 2009 #16
    hm branched of? For such a complex problem such as evolution and whether humans evolved from apes or not that seems to be a very dull answer, don't you think? Your right, I do not fully understand evolution but from what i have read and what i have heard that was a question that I could not answer.

18. Mar 1, 2009 #17
    sorry if i was vague, i was not talking about evolution directly. I was talking about when you mocked him for believing in a higher being.

19. Mar 1, 2009 #18
    Stratosphere,

This might be a good place for you to start. It's a pretty good article that covers the basics of evolution. Let us know if you have questions and we will try to answer them as long as you are somewhat receptive.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/evolution/evolution.htm

20. Mar 1, 2009 #19

Evo

If you're interested in learning, there is a lot you can read. If you're not interested in learning, you're on the wrong forum.

21. Mar 1, 2009 #20

Evo

I'm afraid I've got you there. Show me where I mocked him for a higher belief. I believe you'll find that he made a very vague statement not tied to any belief and I responded. Making false accusations isn't allowed here either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook