Is Fire Matter? Exploring Its State of Matter

In summary, fire is a mixture of solids and gases - with possibly some 'liquid' if there happens to be any melting non-specific 'gunge' in the hot coal. The word "fire" refers more to a process than a substance.
Dremmer
And if so, what state of matter is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
A coal fire is a mixture of solids and gases - with possibly some 'liquid' if there happens to be any melting non-specific 'gunge' in the hot coal. The word "fire" refers more to a process than a substance.
Science is really above these things, though. There is little point in trying to 'categorise' everything in the world. The 'three states of matter' (plus Plasma) are very coarse categories and there are many many common substances that fall into more than one.
We have the same problem if we want to categorise life forms, electromagnetic waves, signals and many others. Life's too short and it doesn't help at all with our understanding - quite the reverse, in fact, I think.

Hydrogen fire is plasma.

and gas!

Is fire matter?
No, it is not.

It doesn't behave like typical matter, which makes some people believe that it is not actually matter.

Dremmer said:
It doesn't behave like typical matter, which makes some people believe that it is not actually matter.

Huh? Why are you asking the question if you're not going to listen to the answers?

Fire is not matter; it's a chemical process. Rusting is not matter either, nor is freezing.
There's nothing in a fire that was not there before, and nothing left after a fire that wasn't there before that.

First of all, define precisely what you mean by "fire". Just flame? Process? Everything that we see when looking at fire, that is something that burns, flames and smoke?

I think that when most people think of fire, they think of the flames.

"Most people" don't have very well informed opinions, in general, about Science so a lot of popularly held views of Science are faulty.
e.g. "Current takes the easiest route"
"Nature abhors a vacuum"
"Warm air can hold a lot of water"
etc.
etc.
Isn't the point of this Forum to get things as right as possible?

From my understanding, matter is anything that takes up space and has mass. So rather than asking "if fire is matter," you should probably ask yourself, "what parts of fire make up matter?"*

* Is Fire Matter?. (n.d.). NEWTON/ANL Home Page. Retrieved November 25, 2010, from http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci

Dead link (at least for me), I'm afraid.

sophiecentaur said:
Dead link (at least for me), I'm afraid.

I'm sorry, it was working for me not too long ago, but it was just part of my citation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is fire?

Fire is a chemical reaction that produces heat and light. It occurs when a fuel source, such as wood or gas, combines with oxygen and releases energy in the form of heat and light.

Is fire a state of matter?

No, fire is not considered a state of matter. Instead, it is a visible result of a chemical reaction between different states of matter, such as solid, liquid, and gas.

What are the three states of matter involved in fire?

The three states of matter involved in fire are solid (fuel), liquid (melted fuel), and gas (vaporized fuel and oxygen). These states of matter combine and undergo a chemical reaction to produce fire.

Can fire change states of matter?

Yes, the fuel source involved in a fire can change states of matter. For example, when wood burns, it changes from a solid to a liquid (ash) and then to a gas (smoke and carbon dioxide).

Is there matter in fire?

Yes, there is matter in fire. The fuel source and oxygen involved in the chemical reaction are both forms of matter. However, the fire itself is not considered matter, but rather the result of a chemical reaction between different forms of matter.