Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is foul language the New Normal ?

1. I experience it, all the time, everywhere

6 vote(s)
  2. I experience it, in the workplace

3 vote(s)
  3. I experience it, at home

0 vote(s)
  4. I experience it, at only in restricted places (examples please)

1 vote(s)
  5. I experience it, only sometimes

4 vote(s)
  6. I experience it, not at all

1 vote(s)
  7. Is appropriate for these forums

0 vote(s)
  8. Is NOT appropriate for these forums

5 vote(s)
  1. Jul 24, 2003 #1
    Is foul language the New "Normal"?

So "foul mouthed" language, is it really as prevalent as some people would like us all to think? Or is it just a "social misnomer" inasmuch as some people do not realize that, outside of their circle of friends, things, like this kind of language, are NOT the norm.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2003 #2
    I wasn't aware that swearing is even allowed on these boards. When it is done, it's edited so as not to influence the younger kids.

I'll admit I've done it a time or two, but Not consistently, and never blantantly. I will say that I never swear in public, and very rarley at all at home. Here it depends on who I'm addressing, and it's very situational.

I'd like to see if anyone else posts on this first before I comment any farther.
  4. Jul 25, 2003 #3
    I also encounter malicious throat-
  5. Jul 25, 2003 #4

Mr. Robin Parsons, my guess is
    that you started this thread in
    reaction to another thread in
    which the foulest of all possible
    language was hurled at you.

I would like to assure you that,
    as an observer of that thread,
    I was very surprised by that per-
    son's resorting to this. I haven't
    been here very long but, so far,
    haven't seen anything else like
    this. In my view his use of that
    language was an abberration.

I don't understand the term "social misnomer". Would you

It is a pity because it was other-
    wise a fascinating thread.
  6. Jul 25, 2003 #5

Science Advisor

"I encounter it...in the workplace"

I work in a factory and most of my co-workers cuss like, well, like factory workers. I myself never use foul language.

Outside of the shop, I have two discrete social circles. I have my family, and a group of friends who are fairly "intellectual". In my discussions with these people, vulgar words are as rare as vulgar topics of discussion. The other group consists of people who are sexually promiscuous, heavy drinkers, drug abusers, or all of the above. The linguistic habits of this latter group are pretty much what one would expect them to be.

However, even these individuals would not use obscene language when placing a fast food order, speaking to a cashier at the grocery store, addressing a courtroom, school roomn, or town hall meeting, etc. Such language is simply not appropriate for any public forum, including this one. Even the most vulgar and foul-mouthed to individual should understand that.
  7. Jul 25, 2003 #6
    "Social Misnomer" is derived from the idea that most of the persons, whom I have encountered, who have admitted to trying something like Marijuana, end up telling me that; "Everyone (I know) Smokes it".

It is my inclusion of the (I know) that indicates what the 'social misnomer' actually is, everyone "you know" in the circles of friends that you have, and interact in.

As I have explained, to some of the people who have used the 'everyone' line with me, that is a perception that excludes an eye upon the greater reality of simply your own, tight, circle.

Having been involved in a great diversity of backgrounds, and peoples, in the years that I have worked, at many a diverse employment, I have encountered many places #1) with lots of cussing, #2) some with less, #3) some with none, #4) some where you would be fired on the spot for it, so my perception of the reality of it is somewhat enlarged to a degree that I have a more generalized perception of things, hence the four notations above.

But I was curious, as I had been enjoying the idea that such language was NOT in general usage in these forums, as I (sometimes) find the usage of such terms as simply a form of intellectual/(ineffectual) lazzzyness..............so...

EDIT PS I really like what Lurch stated! I agree!
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2003
  8. Jul 25, 2003 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it ****!!!!!!!! What sort of ****ing question is that?
  9. Jul 25, 2003 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of gay-assed forum is this, where you can't even say **** or ****?
  10. Jul 25, 2003 #9
    Mr. Robin Parsons:

Thank you for the explanation.

I have to agree with you that resorting to profanity is a
    form of laziness. People who indulge in it become less and
    less able to articulate things
    any other way. As a result they
    are less and less able to under-
    stand what others are saying.

I also found Lurch's post to
    the point and very well put.

jcsd:I wish your two posts were
    as funny as you thought they were.
    Maybe someday. Keep trying!
  11. Jul 25, 2003 #10

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah go **** yourself, you ****ing pouff.
  12. Jul 26, 2003 #11

Science Advisor

There is no need for such overcompensation here, jcsd. Your homosexuality will not be counted as a mark against you in these Forums. We are more interested in your ideas.
  13. Jul 26, 2003 #12
    Mr. Robin Parsons,

Actually, I am interested in
    finding out where you were go-
    ing with the assertion that
    both Michelson/Morley and Sir
    Oliver Lodge missed out on the
    'third alternative'.?

Unfortunately in the other thread
    you didn't get the chance to
    explain this.

14. Jul 26, 2003 #13
    Oh my! jcsd is burning my ears (eyes) with such an appaling use of obscene language, i really wish someone (greg) would put an end to this!
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2003
  15. Jul 26, 2003 #14

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since when has S****horpe been an offensive word that need's editing?
  16. Jul 27, 2003 #15
    So why/how does "restricting yourself make you {insert jcsd's words *here*}?

How does cursing prove anything, about you, other then that you are willing to freely curse, and apparently?? lack vocabulary??
  17. Jul 27, 2003 #16
    Mr. Robin Parsons,
    Ignore the flak and let the heath-
    ens rage. I am interested in hearing about that third alternative. Please.

18. Jul 27, 2003 #17

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This from a man whose got a banana raping another banana in his avatar

Swearing is the only way I can express myself.
  19. Jul 27, 2003 #18
    jcsd: Much better.

Mr.Robin: Danke Schon.

20. Jul 27, 2003 #19
    I am one that has cursed alot in the past but am trying to change my ways, but have a question and its relevant as well! (shock)

If you where to hit your self on the hand with a hammer what would you say other than " ****ing ****** cant believe **** **** ****!" how would you express that without cursing?
  21. Jul 27, 2003 #20
    You asked the right person. I
    do carpentry work all the time.
    I find that if you pay just a
    little bit of attention, you
    will never hit yourself anywhere
    with the hammer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?