1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is G Abelian?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    Problem. Let G be a finite group whose order is not divisible by 3. Suppose that (ab)3 = a3b3 for all a, b in G. Prove that G must be abelian.

Attempt. I know that G has no subgroups of order 3, hence no elements of order 3. Thus, if (ab)3 = a3b3 = e, then ab = e right? I don't know how to proceed. Any tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's really hard to give a hint here. OK, let's see, we want to show that ab=ba. Let's look at (ab)^3 and (ba)^3. Try to play with these. Here's a push in the right direction: ababab=(ab)^3=a^3b^3, so that baba=a^2b^2.

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    I never thought about (ba)3. I had obtained (ba)2 = a2b2, but I didn't do anything with it. Let's see:

From (ba)2 = a2b2 we get that (ba)3 = baa2b2 = ba3b2. And since (ba)3 = b3a3, then ba3b2 = b3a3, so a3b2 = b2a3. Hmm...where can I use this equality?

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good progress. Now use the fact that 3 doesn't divide the order of G to show that cb^2=b^2c for all c in G.

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    To do that, I would show that for any c in G, there is an a in G with c = a3. And to do that, I would show that the mapping f(a) = a3 is 1-1: Suppose f(a) = f(b). Then a3 = b3 and e = b3a-3 = (ba-1)3. Since there are no elements of order 3, then the order of ba-1 must be either 1 or 2. The latter doesn't work so, ba-1 = e and b = a. It follows that f is also onto (since G is finite).

Great. Know what? Hmm... a3b3 = a2ab2b = a2b2ab, the last equality due to the result above. And since a3b3 = (ab)3, we have that a2b2ab = (ab)3, which after cancellation yields ab = ba. Nice.

Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?