Is Gayness a Disease? Exploring the Debate

• Thread starter RunToFreeForFly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary, homosexuality is not a disease, it is simply a genetic trait which some people choose to have. It is not abnormal or harmful in any way. It is a freedom, and humans should be free to do what they want with their own bodies.
Sigh.. I don't know people. Are we scientists here or just faking it? Look at the evidence objectively and it tells you that it's not a genetic predisposition.
If it is genetic, why is it just now becoming an issue? Why were there no gay people 1000 years ago? Why is it that so many people now "discover" they are gay, when it wasn't the case even 100 yeares ago? It's a social issue, not a genetic one. A lot of gay people try to insist that it's a genetic problem. Show me the research identifying the "Gay gene". Sure someone can have unsually high levels of estrogen or whatever, but It's a social choice. Even heterosexuality is a choice. Granted we are gentically predisposed to it for procreation needs, but it is still a social choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homosexuality as one end of a bisexual continuum
Some people who are in general heterosexual may have mild or occasional interest in members of their own sex. They are often referred to as bi-curious. Conversely, many people who identify themselves as homosexual, or who might prefer homosexual activities or relationships, have engaged in heterosexual activities or even have long-term heterosexual relationships.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual

Bisexuality could be a very advantageous trait. Maybe bisexuals more easily understand what the opposite sex finds attractive. And maybe they get more opportunities to get skilled in the reproductive game. Then bisexuality would be like one copy of the sickle-cell gene, pure homosexuality would be like two copies.

Zantra said:
Why were there no gay people 1000 years ago?
There have been gay people since antiquity. The ancient Greeks, for example, were quite openly fond of "man-boy" relationships. History is full of accounts of homosexual people, including military leaders and even royalty.
Why is it that so many people now "discover" they are gay, when it wasn't the case even 100 yeares ago?
Neither homosexuality itself nor its prevalence have changed much over those hundred years. Our society's acceptance of it, on the other hand, has changed remarkably. In the past, homosexuals were so firmly ostracised for their sexuality that some, like von Neumann, even took to suicide as the alternative. It is most certainly not entirely a social issue, and it is incredibly ignorant of you to assert that it is one. There are certainly social ramifications of sexual preference -- for example, legions of teenaged American girls have recently pierced their navels and declared themselves bisexual for probably no reasons deeper than peer pressure and social status -- but there are plenty of people who are homosexual despite every desire they might have to be heterosexual. The girls who smear on strawberry lip gloss and kiss other girls in nightclubs in front of cheering men are a recent phenomonon, and are almost certainly not homosexual.
Show me the research identifying the "Gay gene". Sure someone can have unsually high levels of estrogen or whatever, but It's a social choice. Even heterosexuality is a choice.
You apparently are not familiar with the research conducted in the last decade. As it happens, heterosexual and homosexual brains are actually measurably different -- if I recall correctly, the hippocampi differ enough in morphology that a heterosexual brain and a homosexual brain are distinguishable on an MRI. While these brain differences may be either the cause or the effect of homosexuality, it certainly highlights the truth that homosexuality is not a choice.

- Warren

here's one for you homophobes: I've heard this statistic on many occassions: that supposedly we all have bisexual tendencies in us, to one degree or another. Call it "curiosity". But maybe that's just another urban legend.

Please, also note:
Do you CHOOSE feeling attraction to a girl?
Do you weigh pro's and con's before DECIDING whether to fall in love with her?
Don't post silly ideas about choice.
Homosexual (or heterosexual) emotions are NOT choices, practices are.

Zantra said:
here's one for you homophobes: I've heard this statistic on many occassions: that supposedly we all have bisexual tendencies in us, to one degree or another. Call it "curiosity". But maybe that's just another urban legend.
Actually, it's a generally-recognized fact of human psychology.

I'm confused, though Zanta, because your previous post actually led me to believe that you are a homophobe.

- Warren

chroot said:
There have been gay people since antiquity. The ancient Greeks, for example, were quite openly fond of "man-boy" relationships. History is full of accounts of homosexual people, including military leaders and even royalty.

pointed noted.

Neither homosexuality itself nor its prevalence have changed much over those hundred years. Our society's acceptance of it, on the other hand, has changed remarkably. In the past, homosexuals were so firmly ostracised for their sexuality that some, like von Neumann, even took to suicide as the alternative. It is most certainly not entirely a social issue, and it is incredibly ignorant of you to assert that it is one. There are certainly social ramifications of sexual preference -- for example, legions of teenaged American girls have recently pierced their navels and declared themselves bisexual for probably no reasons deeper than peer pressure and social status -- but there are plenty of people who are homosexual despite every desire they might have to be heterosexual. The girls who smear on strawberry lip gloss and kiss other girls in nightclubs in front of cheering men are a recent phenomonon, and are almost certainly not homosexual.

Nor is it entirely an issue of gentics, as it is an issue steeped within social traditions and conceptions. There are tons of documented cases of people who were openly straight for long periods of time and suddenly "switched" there are tons of documented cases of people who were traumatized by people of the opposite sex who "became" gay after the those intial experiences. So then you have separate gay people into 2 categories- those who claim they were "born that way" and those who were initially straight, and "became gay" due to traumatic circumstances or environmental influence. Research into this area is sketchy at best, and I'd like to scrutinize ANY supposedly scientific studies that show this to be a gentic influence.

I'll say it again- show me the gay gene, or acknowledge that you have no SOLID proof. Studies are very easily influenced, as has been shown on this board many times over.[/QUOTE]

You apparently are not familiar with the research conducted in the last decade. As it happens, heterosexual and homosexual brains are actually measurably different -- if I recall correctly, the hippocampi differ enough in morphology that a heterosexual brain and a homosexual brain are distinguishable on an MRI. While these brain differences may be either the cause or the effect of homosexuality, it certainly highlights the truth that homosexuality is not a choice.

- Warren

equating some variations on an MRI with homosexuality is akin to saying that someone saw a meteor heading in the general direction of earth, so the world is going to end. There could be many many reasons for the differences. Someone is tainting the results to show what they want them to, not to be objective.

Zantra said:
Sigh.. I don't know people. Are we scientists here or just faking it? Look at the evidence objectively and it tells you that it's not a genetic predisposition.
If it is genetic, why is it just now becoming an issue? Why were there no gay people 1000 years ago? Why is it that so many people now "discover" they are gay, when it wasn't the case even 100 yeares ago? It's a social issue, not a genetic one. A lot of gay people try to insist that it's a genetic problem. Show me the research identifying the "Gay gene". Sure someone can have unsually high levels of estrogen or whatever, but It's a social choice. Even heterosexuality is a choice. Granted we are gentically predisposed to it for procreation needs, but it is still a social choice.

ARE YOU SERIOUS! EVER READ A HISTORY BOOK ABOUT THE LEADERS THAT WANTED YOUNG BOYS?? - I believe several ceasars were homos.

gimme a break. wish i was gay so that i would have a list of all the historical people that were gay.

you call yourself a scientist? turn in your slide rule!

olde drunk

chroot said:
Actually, it's a generally-recognized fact of human psychology.

I'm confused, though Zanta, because your previous post actually led me to believe that you are a homophobe.

- Warren

warren you can be an ass but I'll just be one right back to you. read my last post and show me the facts- I want documented PROOF that there exists a gene that makes you gay. Anything else is pure speculation.

I think it's funny you saying that, because I have friends and relatives who are gay, and I support them all the way. Explain to me in your esteemed OBJECTIVE manner how you equate my view on why people are gay with homophobia. Still waiting for that proof you claim to have buddy.. take your time.

Ok, so it is an harmonal imbalance. what triggered the imbalance within the body? everything goes back to our genes. a pre-disposition, in my opinion, is not the same as being genetically male or female. to me a predisposion is more of a tendency. much like being suseptible to alchohol. some drink and walk away, some want to drink and never stop.

sorry for my prior outburst. one of my best friends is gay and i have seen the burden he carries. it is a shame that society is unwilling to accept homosexuality as natural.

love&peace,
olde drunk

Zantra said:
Nor is it entirely an issue of gentics, as it is an issue steeped within social traditions and conceptions.
There's no need to make this point again; I already agreed the first time. There are certainly plenty of people who are not "really" gay yet claim to be. You can show me as many cases of this as you'd like, but it doesn't prove your argument (that homosexuality is societal). All I need to do is show you one person who is "really" homosexual yet claims not to be to prove my argument (that homosexuality is not entirely societal). There are many such people, and your argument is therefore falsified by contradiction. Be careful with your sweeping qualifiers.
Research into this area is sketchy at best, and I'd like to scrutinize ANY supposedly scientific studies that show this to be a gentic influence.
I suppose you're free to have your own definition of "sketchy," but there have been a wide variety of quite reputable studies of homosexuality which indicate that it has far deeper origins than social interaction.
I'll say it again- show me the gay gene, or acknowledge that you have no SOLID proof. Studies are very easily influenced, as has been shown on this board many times over.
I never said I had solid proof that it's genetic. And why are you demanding solid proof (in capitals, no less!) for my (presumed) arguments, when you do not (and indeed cannot) provide solid proof for your own?
equating some variations on an MRI with homosexuality is akin to saying that someone saw a meteor heading in the general direction of earth, so the world is going to end.
This seems to just be a non-sequitor. I have no idea how one might actually compare asteroid-impact studies with sexual-orientation studies, so I'm not really going to try. This seems to be an argument by assertion -- another logical fallacy.
There could be many many reasons for the differences. Someone is tainting the results to show what they want them to, not to be objective.
As I explicitly stated, no one is sure whether the brain differences are the cause or the effect. A scientific theory such as homosexuality is a characterisable neurological phenomenon cannot by its nature ever be absolutely proven, but it seems there is mounting evidence in its support.

- Warren

Zantra said:
warren you can be an ass but I'll just be one right back to you. read my last post and show me the facts- I want documented PROOF that there exists a gene that makes you gay. Anything else is pure speculation.
Why are you demanding such proof? You are the one making the silly unqualified assertions here.

I'll turn it back on you: I want documented PROOF that a gay gene does NOT exist. Anything else you say is pure speculation.

- Warren

Ok I've acknowledge the historical context, which isn't even the point of my post, so let's move past that.

The botom line is that there isn't any irrefutable proof EITHER WAY. Only speculation. THat means it's still open to debate. Saying I'm homophobic just because I don't agree with your POV isn't constructive. So let's move past that.

There is certainly a great deal of evidence that it is not purely societal, and that was my only point.

The rigor of the word "proof" precludes its use in this context, and you should refrain from using it. Proofs exist in systems with well-defined axioms, like mathematics. Proofs don't exist in social science, or, for that matter, in any science. Let's restrict our attention to the mountain of evidence and which side of the fence it's on.

- Warren

chroot said:
There's no need to make this point again; I already agreed the first time. There are certainly plenty of people who are not "really" gay yet claim to be. You can show me as many cases of this as you'd like, but it doesn't prove your argument (that homosexuality is societal). All I need to do is show you one person who is "really" homosexual yet claims not to be to prove my argument (that homosexuality is not entirely societal). There are many such people, and your argument is therefore falsified by contradiction. Be careful with your sweeping qualifiers.

So now you're presuming to tell someone they are gay, weather they believe it or not? Interesting. I may be gay, and not even know it! Maybe we're all gay and just in denial? There I go "sweeping" again.. hehe

I suppose you're free to have your own definition of "sketchy," but there have been a wide variety of quite reputable studies of homosexuality which indicate that it has far deeper origins than social interaction.

This isn't the first argument on this topic, and I believe in the past, the majority of studies presented turned out to be funded by right wing fundamentalist groups or organizations with religious affilations... hardly what I'd call objective- so if that's you're evidence, then just paint me a hardcore skeptic.

I never said I had solid proof that it's genetic. And why are you demanding solid proof (in capitals, no less!) for my (presumed) arguments, when you do not (and indeed cannot) provide solid proof for your own?

So it would seem then, that your position isn't on much firmer ground than mine is. I'd assume you'd require equally stringent proof from my that it's a social behavior, so I expect no less. At this point it's all a matter of opinion. IF it isn't, then by all means let's move this topic to the biology forums where it belongs.

This seems to just be a non-sequitor. I have no idea how one might actually compare asteroid-impact studies with sexual-orientation studies, so I'm not really going to try. This seems to be an argument by assertion -- another logical fallacy.

ok let's pretend you didn't get my analogy. Bottom line is that MRI's can be miread, or interpreted in many different ways, and it would be a small task for someone to say "oh it means this".

As I explicitly stated, no one is sure whether the brain differences are the cause or the effect. A scientific theory such as homosexuality is a characterisable neurological phenomenon cannot by its nature ever be absolutely proven, but it seems there is mounting evidence in its support.

- Warren

There's mounting support for M theory too, but no one's rewritten physics books just yet. That is why it's a working theory. I"m just trying to explore alternative explanations. I didn't the topic was already set in stone.

olde drunk said:
Ok, so it is an harmonal imbalance. what triggered the imbalance within the body? everything goes back to our genes. a pre-disposition, in my opinion, is not the same as being genetically male or female. to me a predisposion is more of a tendency. much like being suseptible to alchohol. some drink and walk away, some want to drink and never stop.

sorry for my prior outburst. one of my best friends is gay and i have seen the burden he carries. it is a shame that society is unwilling to accept homosexuality as natural.

love&peace,
olde drunk

An imbalance in estrogen or testosterone is a pefectly valid theory which I'm willing to entertain. However you can't discount the social impact that comes with being gay. Or the traumatic experiences of people who didn't consider themselves gay prior to those experiences. It may be that it's a combination of variables, or that there are gentically gay people AND socially gay people. The jury's still out last I checked.

I would also want to point out a misconception that you seem to have. Just because I believe that being gay comes from social influences, doesn't mean that I'm homophobic, or against homosexuality. I think that's a stigma that's attached to anyone who thinks homosexuality isn't genetic. It may or may not be a correct assumption, but in my case, it's not. If it is a social behavior, it doesn't mean that it's a wrong behavior. We as human being set the bar for right and wrong. Right and wrong is only a matter of perception.

Last edited:
Zantra:
Do you think that it is necessarily TRAUMATIC experiences which causes "social gayness"?

Zantra said:
So now you're presuming to tell someone they are gay, weather they believe it or not? Interesting. I may be gay, and not even know it! Maybe we're all gay and just in denial? There I go "sweeping" again.. hehe
No. I meant that there are many people who feel internally that they are homosexual, yet suppress it and behave as ("claim to be") heterosexuals.
I believe in the past, the majority of studies presented turned out to be funded by right wing fundamentalist groups or organizations with religious affilations... hardly what I'd call objective- so if that's you're evidence, then just paint me a hardcore skeptic.
This might be true, but I don't know. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a social scientist, and I do not know who funded which papers. I think you're offering it just as an attempt to discredit all such studies, since they seem to uniformly disagree with you.

All I said is that the studies I know, such as the brain-morphology study, indicate that there is at least some kind of physiological difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals. It seems logical (though not certain) that social interactions do not change brain morphology. If this evidence is valid, it would indicate that homosexuality is not entirely societal, which was your initial assertion to which I objected.
'd assume you'd require equally stringent proof from my that it's a social behavior, so I expect no less.
I don't believe there is such thing as "stringent proof" in social science. Please refrain from assuming what I mean, and then attacking strawmen.
Bottom line is that MRI's can be miread, or interpreted in many different ways, and it would be a small task for someone to say "oh it means this".
This is true of just about every scientific experiment. It does not inherently discredit the value of scientific experiments.
I didn't the topic was already set in stone.
You made a strong statement that indicated you, in fact, did think it was set in stone: "Sigh... It's a social issue, not a genetic one." If you'd like to retract that statement in light of your further consideration, go ahead.

- Warren

Last edited:
The "Crime Against Nature"
Sodomy has been stigmatized for century upon century, and in many cultures across the world and through time, mostly seeking to stigmatize relationships between members of the same sex. Almost invariably, when it is criminalized, those who criminalize it (or would do so) refer to it as the "crime against nature" or the "sin against nature." The presumption is that homosexual behavior is a perversion, and a uniquely human perversion, engaged in as the result of what is presumed to be a learned attraction to members of the same sex.
There's only one problem with that assumption: None of it is true.
http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Zantra:
Do you think that it is necessarily TRAUMATIC experiences which causes "social gayness"?

I think that it is one of several characterizations that can be used, on a case by case basis. I think there are instances where the subject would characterize their own experience as negative, leading to feelings of resentment and fear of the opposite sex. Is it the rule? no. are there documented cases where "traumatize" is a valid characterization? yes.

I think I've come across in the wrong way, so let me clarify again so there's no misunderstanding. I believe that there's no solid scientific proof that being gay is either hereditary or social. I'm sure that strong arguments can be made from either viewpoint, and I myself could present a case for either argument. However I do think there are certain people here who have already made up their minds on the topic, based on the available evidence.

Some of you approach the debate by attacking every minute fact I present, avoiding the true topic, so for future reference, please try to compile all of your points into a single post so I don't get writers cramp :yuck:

Yes I concede that homosexuality has a long history. No, I'm not homophobic or antigay. No I don't believe the topic is set in stone, No I don't think it's a "disease" and yes, I do learn towards the social aspects because genetics cannot explain every single case.

I hope that clears it up for everyone. Everyone seems so smug in their certainty that it's a genetic issue. So if it is, fantics will doubtlessly advocate genetic engineering to "eliminate" the gay disposition. So you see, you can put a negative spin on this, weather it's a genetic OR a social issue. It swings both ways.

Just to clarify on my part:
Whatever one's view on the etiology of homosexuality, it cannot be denied that
consensual, homosexual practice :
a) Is (/might be) fully consistent with an egalitarian morality
b) Provides warmth, joy and well-being for those wanting to engage in it.
Hence, however one looks at it, finding the "cause of homosexuality" should have no bearing on our MORAL evaluation of the practice.

Zantra said:
Everyone seems so smug in their certainty that it's a genetic issue. So if it is, fantics will doubtlessly advocate genetic engineering to "eliminate" the gay disposition. So you see, you can put a negative spin on this, weather it's a genetic OR a social issue. It swings both ways.
Just to make my position perfectly clear, I was only arguing that "gayness" (as someone else put it) is not a 'normal genetic variation' (ie blue eyes). I wasn't arguing that is anything, with the caveat that if it is harmful in any way (and, it appears clear to me that it is), it can reasonably be considered a "disease". Whether the cause is a common genetic defect, fetal environment, social pressure, or even lack of vitamins remains a very much open question.

russ_watters said:
Just to make my position perfectly clear, I was only arguing that "gayness" (as someone else put it) is not a 'normal genetic variation' (ie blue eyes). I wasn't arguing that is anything, with the caveat that if it is harmful in any way (and, it appears clear to me that it is), it can reasonably be considered a "disease". Whether the cause is a common genetic defect, fetal environment, social pressure, or even lack of vitamins remains a very much open question.
http://www.bidstrup.com/sodomy.htm
As this links shows, bi- and homosexuality is very common in other species. This could not be the case if there was no advantage to this spectrum. The most likely explanation is that bisexuality gives a clear advantage in the competition for mates. So it cannot be considered a harmful disease, even if one views it only in terms of "survival of the fittest".

The latest evidence points to homosexuality and bisexuality being the result of exposure to elevated prenatal testosterone levels. Social psychological explanations - valid in other areas - are defunct here.

How we, as society, use this information is another issue entirely.

dekoi said:
Homosexuality is strictly caused by the environment they have been raised in, and the people with the most influence on them. It is not a gene. It has been studied for years, and not one scientist found valid proof for this. Homosexuality, whether it is women or men, is either the foolish experimentation of the sex drive, or emotional harm leading to sexual confusion.

What a load of crap. If homosexuality was strictly caused by the environment, then dizygotic twins raised together should show the same incidence of homosexuality as monozygotic twins raised together. But this is not the case, as twin studies on the subject have clearly shown. The incidence among monozygotic twins is much higher than that of dizygotic twins. I love to see politics masquerading as science in a forum dedicated to physics. :confused:

1993 Dean Hammer

"discovered a gene that linked to the predisposition of men being homosexual"

Twistedseer

Surely homosexuality is a benefit, as instead of having children of there own, if wanted, they can adopt, therefore producing a stable beneficial environment to the next generation. If they do not want children, homosexuality simply prevents unwanted offspring.

Someone mentioned that Chimps have sex with one another, females, males, and SPECIFICALLY: mother and son. When it should be acceptable that human men and women have sex with their own gender because that is the case in the animal world, then why is not incest acceptable? As long as it happens between two consenting adults, for instance a 20 year old son and his 45 year old mother, it is okay? Answer that!

cogito said:
What a load of crap. If homosexuality was strictly caused by the environment, then dizygotic twins raised together should show the same incidence of homosexuality as monozygotic twins raised together.

Yes. And I could promise myself on New Year's Eve: Next year I will become a lesbian! No one can do that. Yeah, let's start tomorrow! :yuck:

Is stupidity a disease?

Thallium said:
Someone mentioned that Chimps have sex with one another, females, males, and SPECIFICALLY: mother and son. When it should be acceptable that human men and women have sex with their own gender because that is the case in the animal world, then why is not incest acceptable? As long as it happens between two consenting adults, for instance a 20 year old son and his 45 year old mother, it is okay? Answer that!

Damn good question! What would Freud say?

Thallium said:

OK by whom? It's their business, not mine, and I suspect the Supreme Court (in their recent privacy decision) agree with me.

Besides:
This doesn't hold water as a "counter"-argument:
A fundamental premise, usually unstated, in the consenting adults view, is that BOTH parties can be regarded to be mentally SANE/having no serious mental illness impairing their RATIONAL judgment.

Now, what this means in practice for adults is that in cases of doubt, we must seek to establish a psychological profile of the person, based upon his capacity to exercise "normal" adult functions, like the capacity to initiate/hold on to friendships, being able to hold on a job, controlling temper/aggression control and so on.

It is completely without any doubt that gays are as functional adults as straights are.
That is, we cannot, in general, regard gays as mentally ill, whose actions as adults should be monitored/censored by society.

But what of your example?
Of all incest cases I've read about, there are severe psychological damages present which manifest themselves in a host of different ways.

That is, you have offered no evidence whatsoever that there exist large groups of incestuous individuals who must be regarded as mentally healthy.

Hence, the "consenting adults"-parallell doesn't hold, because there exist grave doubts as to whether such relations ever occur among mentally healthy adults.

arildno said:
Hence, the "consenting adults"-parallell doesn't hold, because there exist grave doubts as to whether such relations ever occur among mentally healthy adults.

arildno, you are mixing up cases of adult on child incest, which of course can result in mental handicaps for the child in later life, with the case that was brought up and that I was discussing, of two adults who, not having had a prior history of incest, decide to practice it. I see no reason to presume they are less than fully competent.

As for the frequency of such encounters, we don't know it, and it's really irrelevant. How ever many there are, it's still those adults' own affair.