Is global warming natural or manmade?

In summary, The question of whether global warming is natural or manmade is still up for debate, but more and more scientists are concerned about the possibility. CO2 levels have been on the rise in recent years and it is known that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. It is important to proceed carefully and take measures to reduce CO2 emissions in order to prevent potential problems. One suggestion is to eat less beef, as cattle farming contributes to methane emissions. It's also worth considering the role of solar intensity and the production of cement in global warming.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
im still on the fence, is global warming natural or manmade? i don't know
i have read that eruptions from mamalian rear ends has a lot to do with it
how could one stop that.
no crudidity intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by wolram
im still on the fence, is global warming natural or manmade?

It's unclear, but more and more scientists are believing it to be a real enough possibility to be concerned about. It's certainly a fact that CO2 levels have been on the rise lately (28% increase in the past 50 years) and that CO2 (among other things) is a greenhouse gas.

I say 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'. Given the serious possibility and the serious problems it could cause, it's worth proceeding carefully before we get in too deep. If anything, the effort to cut back on CO2 generation will also have benefits such as reduction of other associated pollutants, more efficient fuel use, etc. More studies are needed, caution is warranted, but no need to run amok in the streets yet.

i have read that eruptions from mamalian rear ends has a lot to do with it
how could one stop that.

Eat less beef.
(i.e., stop the economic incentive for more cattle farming)
"Mammalian" is too broad...I think you're referring to methane generation from the digestive system of the massive bovine industry worldwide.

It is also possible that cycles in solar intensity could play a role.

Interestingly, one of the biggest offenders is the production of cement but I rarely hear mention of this.

Here is a related link:
http://globalchange.gov/

1. Is global warming a natural process or caused by human activity?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists. However, the overwhelming consensus is that global warming is primarily caused by human activity, such as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation.

2. What evidence supports the idea that global warming is manmade?

There is a significant amount of evidence from multiple sources, including ice core data, temperature records, and satellite observations, that shows a clear correlation between the increase in global temperatures and the rise in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, which is primarily caused by human activity.

3. How do we know that global warming is not just a natural cycle?

Scientists have studied past climate change and have found that the current rate and extent of global warming are unlike any previous natural cycles. Additionally, natural factors, such as changes in solar activity, volcanic eruptions, and Earth's orbit, cannot account for the current warming trend.

4. Can we reverse the effects of global warming?

While it is not possible to completely reverse the effects of global warming, we can slow down and mitigate its impacts by reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and transitioning to clean, renewable energy sources. However, this will require significant global efforts and immediate action.

5. What are the potential consequences of global warming if left unchecked?

If global warming continues at its current rate, we can expect more frequent and severe natural disasters, such as heatwaves, droughts, hurricanes, and wildfires. Rising sea levels will also lead to coastal flooding and displacement of millions of people. It will also have significant impacts on global food production, water resources, and human health.