Assessing the Quality of GNU C/C++ Compiler for Scientific Applications

• C/C++
  • Thread starter TenNen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compiler
In summary: I will check them out.If you wanted to program a gui app in linux then i suggest programming with gtk or qt. GTK is associated with gnome and qt is associated with kde. QT is c++ while GTK is C. They're quite different and it depends on the individual as to which is better. I'm fairly indifferent thus far because i haven't had to do a large app in it yet.
TenNen
Is gnu C/C++ a good compiler ?
How can we judge whether a compiler is good or bad ?

Thanks in advance

Technology news on Phys.org
A good or bad compiler... I'd say its a good one for what i use it for.

If we want to judge it we need criteria. As far as speed goes, intel's kicks its ass every which way. There are many more important factors in many cases though.
What are you using it for?

Generally there are only three criteria to judge a compiler by:

1) The size of the resulting object code
2) The speed of the result object code
3) Its adherence to standards and lack of bugs

- Warren

Thanks Warren a lot for your help,
Originally posted by Goalie_Ca
If we want to judge it we need criteria. As far as speed goes, intel's kicks its ass every which way. There are many more important factors in many cases though.
What are you using it for?
Since GNU C/C++, as far as I have learned or taught by some people, it can only be used for compiling some programs made in Linux/Unix environment that are equivalent to Console applications in Windows...
But Is it correct ?

Goalie_Ca, have you ever made any non-console applications in Linux, can you please tell me what they are,. just give me some examples, I would be very grateful...

You can use gcc to compile anything you want. If you want to compile code that calls the Win32 API, so be it. A compiler does not limit what you can compile.

- Warren

I am sorry I wasn't clear, I meant something like GUI applications in Linux...I just wonder if that is possible and would like to know if Goalie_Ca or you or anyone can give me a piece of information...

Thanks a lot Warren

Well, if you want to make gui applications in linux then you're pretty much stuck with gcc. Intel's compiler is often considered superior because it produces faster code, but then there's more issues resulting from the fact that its not gcc. :/

GCC is the technology used to compile pretty much everything on a linux system. So yes it will do graphical user interfaces.

I've written some small and simple applications, mostly utilities, to help me convert, and do things as well as the "staple" text editor and hello worlds apps. Most stuff i write is console so i can pipe info in and out without user interaction.

If you wanted to program a gui app in linux then i suggest programming with gtk or qt. GTK is associated with gnome and qt is associated with kde. QT is c++ while GTK is C. They're quite different and it depends on the individual as to which is better. I'm fairly indifferent thus far because i haven't had to do a large app in it yet.

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/how-to-learn-qt.html
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Goalie_Ca a lot,

I am actually and honestly not trying to build any large applications at all. Large one assembles from small ones, so even when I am doing something great and BIG, questions made never go into BIG things.
How can I ask someone to write me an application simulating the development of a certain cancer cell ? (:tongue2:)
Again, thanks for your links, (smile)

1. Is gnu C/C++ a free compiler?

Yes, gnu C/C++ is a free and open-source compiler. It is available for download and use without any cost.

2. What platforms does gnu C/C++ support?

gnu C/C++ is a cross-platform compiler, meaning it can run on various operating systems including Windows, Linux, and MacOS.

3. Is gnu C/C++ a good choice for beginners?

Yes, gnu C/C++ is a good choice for beginners as it is widely used and has a large community of users who can provide support and resources. It also has a user-friendly interface and extensive documentation.

4. Can gnu C/C++ be used for professional projects?

Yes, gnu C/C++ is a popular choice for professional software development. It is a high-performance compiler and is used in a variety of industries for creating complex and efficient applications.

5. Are there any alternatives to gnu C/C++?

Yes, there are other C/C++ compilers available such as Clang, Microsoft Visual C++, and Intel C++ Compiler. However, gnu C/C++ remains one of the most widely used and trusted compilers in the industry.