Is Gravity Emergent? Answers to Pre-Big Bang Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between gravity and mass, with one participant arguing that gravity must have existed before the Big Bang while the other questions if mass or gravity came first. The summary also mentions that personal speculations are not allowed and that the question is not well-defined without proper references. The conversation is then closed.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I thing by my logic that gravity must have been at the pre bang stage, but then what did came first gravity or mass?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Space news on Phys.org
The egg came first. Definitely, the egg...

wolram said:
I thing by my logic that gravity must have been at the pre bang stage, but then what did came first gravity or mass?
Gravity curves spacetime. It doesn't require that mass exists. Mass is one possible source of gravity, others are e.g. radiation or the Cosmological Constant.
So from this it seems the question "what did came first gravity or mass?" doesn't make sense.

wolram said:
I thing by my logic that gravity must have been at the pre bang stage

Personal speculations are not allowed here. Discussions should be based on valid references, not your "logic".

wolram said:
what did came first gravity or mass?

This question is not well-defined since both "gravity" and "mass" are ambiguous terms. I suggest that you consult some references and start a new thread with a better defined question that has a better basis. This thread is closed.

Likes weirdoguy

1. What is the concept of emergent gravity?

Emergent gravity is the idea that gravity is not a fundamental force of nature, but rather emerges from the collective behavior of other underlying particles and forces. This theory suggests that gravity is not a fundamental property of the universe, but rather a result of the interactions between particles.

2. How does emergent gravity differ from traditional theories of gravity?

Traditional theories of gravity, such as Newton's law of gravitation and Einstein's theory of general relativity, view gravity as a fundamental force that is caused by the curvature of space-time. Emergent gravity, on the other hand, suggests that gravity is not a fundamental force, but rather emerges from the interactions between particles.

3. Is there evidence to support the idea of emergent gravity?

While there is still much debate and research being conducted on the concept of emergent gravity, there have been some studies and observations that provide evidence for this theory. For example, some studies have shown that gravity can be described as an emergent phenomenon in certain systems, such as in black holes and the early universe.

4. Can emergent gravity explain the concept of the Big Bang?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as emergent gravity is still a developing theory and there is much that is still not fully understood about the Big Bang. However, some scientists believe that emergent gravity may offer a potential explanation for the pre-Big Bang state of the universe, as it suggests that gravity was not a fundamental force at the very beginning of the universe.

5. How does the concept of emergent gravity impact our understanding of the universe?

If emergent gravity is proven to be a valid theory, it would significantly change our understanding of the universe and its origins. It would mean that gravity, one of the fundamental forces of nature, is not a fundamental property of the universe, but rather an emergent phenomenon. This could potentially lead to new insights and discoveries in the field of cosmology and our understanding of the laws of the universe.