Is gravity to spacetime what surface tension is to bubbles ?

In summary: The bubbles form an angle of 120 degrees at the center, no matter their sizes. The math to prove this is beyond the scope of this article, but it always holds. The 120 degree rule is also observed in the way bubbles meet when blown between sheets of glass. The cells in a beehive, like bubbles, are hexagons.
bottomfeeder
just something i been thinking about lately in relation to how causal dynamic triangulations connect to form spacetime

When one bubble meets with another, the resulting union is always one of total sharing and compromise (Human beings could learn a lot from bubbles.) Since bubbles always try to minimize surface area two bubbles will merge to share a common wall. If the bubbles are the same size as the bubbles to the left, this wall will be flat. If the bubbles are different sized, the smaller bubble, which always has a higher internal pressure, will bulge into the larger bubble.

Regardless of their relative sizes, the bubbles will meet the common wall at an angle of 120 degrees. This is easy to see in the bubble picture to the right. All three bubbles meet at the center at an angle of 120 degrees. Although the mathematics to prove this are beyond the scope of this article, the 120 degree rule always holds, even with complex bubble collections like a foam.

If you take two sheets of clear glass or plastic separated by about one-half inch, soak them in soapy solution and then blow bubbles between the sheets, you will get many bubble walls. If you look closely, you will notice that all of the vertices where three bubble walls meet (and there are always three,) form 120 degree angles. If your bubbles are of uniform size, you will notice that the cells form hexagons and start to look much like the cells of a beehive. Bees, like bubbles, try to be as efficient as possible when making the comb. They want to use the minimum possible amount of wax to get the job done. Hexagonal cells are the ticket.

when bubble meets bubble

does quantum foam operate this way along with bubble universes connected by branes with black holes being like pressure release valves at the macro level and expanding space like more foam being inputted at the micro level ?

Also is the stringy landscape problem like trying to pinpoint a specific bubble in a foam of universes ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really weird but I think of something then google it to see if anyone else has also and come across stuff which bears close resemblance

google the thread title and see what i mean there's a whole bunch of stuff on it

here are just the first 3

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9606052

http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0503090

http://citebase.eprints.org/cgi-bin/citations?id=oai:arXiv.org:hep-th/9302081

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bf.

I have read this with interest and would follow your links if I had time now. Instead I hope you will bring more ideas along these lines. Keep posting!

Be well,

Richard

oh no, some encouragement NC. I hope you're not going to regret that cos here's what a cyberbuddy said about it on another forum...

interesting thoughts so you are conceptualizing on how space-time is formed.

You conceptualize space-time as a geometric construct and it is abundantly clear that it IS! The only thing that worries me about your picture is the multiplicity of bubbles...it looks like a multiverse like Max Tegmarks concept here at the University of Pennsylvania.

In GR, nothing is outside the universe...there is no surface dividing the inside from the outside. The only real limit to the hyperspherical GR universe is its finite mass, since it is eternal and gradually re-formulates itself. The finite mass is critical and permanent in amount...this energy/matter parameter makes life and existence as we understand it possible.

The fact that the mass of the universe is so critical to existence as we know it, strongly implies it is a construct.

One last thought about your bubbles. The matter and antimatter in our inversely mapped bodies is separated by the vastness of time- but not, obviously, space. Yet because photons from one side of the universe to the other are entangled, we can "crossread" the universe from one side of its vastness to the other according to the time dilation formula as if no space or time existed at all!

In this fact we can understand the unity singularity brings to the universe...everything which happens is almost instantly interconnected, and affects everything else. The other side of time, billions of years from my frame of reference can be and is observed as "now" in a very unique way...via the mechanical complexity of my body, made as it is of varying energy densities.

Each frame of reference has its own "bubble" yes, but actually my frame, from conception to "death" (which I will never actually experience, nor will you, for death is simply the "limit" of our eternal experience)simply continues onward, phylogenically developing in connection with the sum total of all living complexity.

7-D and up is a very rigid model which in a sense is more like everything encased in plastic (a CD which is played endlessly) than the Biblical "vapor" or even bubbles!
- Samuel A Cox

and my nonsensical reply

I suppose it depends whether you think the universe is strictly 4d or everything in multidimensional space.I like the idea of a mulitverse but pressure differences between bubbles in a foam would mean some may be unsuitable for life...

or how about some might only be Planck unit size but the interchangeability of dimensions at superluminal speed means everything gets scaled up and or down accordingly and we would never know the difference.

does it really matter which 3 dimensions come together to form a construct for physical reality that then induces time and change ?

but anyway I was kinda working on the maxim "as above so below" with bubbles being the fundamental geometry. So at Planck level energy is transferred by electron exchange or black holes in the shell/cloud doing exactly the same as black holes do at universal level, pressure release to maintain equilibrium...

...don't mind me I'm just venting without the benefit of education in the field

well does anybody want to add anything after checking those links ?

BTW Nightcleaner in previous PF lives I was spicerack and RingoKid so a lot of my ideas I have already expounded on and yeah I'll keep posting til I have to reincarnate again

say hi to shoshi for me if you're still down with her

bottomfeeder said:
well does anybody want to add anything after checking those links ?

BTW Nightcleaner in previous PF lives I was spicerack and RingoKid so a lot of my ideas I have already expounded on and yeah I'll keep posting til I have to reincarnate again

say hi to shoshi for me if you're still down with her

Hi again, BF.

Just a note to let you know I am still planning on getting a look at those links...I have been cramped for computer time lately. My resources are getting threadbare and I have to pay attention to survival issues soon...

I am glad to see you are still here and still learning. There is so much. Please be patient. I know we are only here for a little time, but the ideas are eternal. I like to fix my gaze on those.

I'll pass your greetings to S.

Be well,

Richard

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is commonly described as a force, but in the context of general relativity, it is better understood as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

How is gravity related to spacetime?

In general relativity, gravity is understood as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that the more mass an object has, the more it curves spacetime, and the stronger its gravitational pull.

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a stretched elastic membrane. It is caused by the attraction between the molecules of the liquid and the surface it is in contact with.

How is surface tension related to bubbles?

In the context of bubbles, surface tension is the force that causes the spherical shape of the bubble. The surface tension of the liquid inside the bubble creates an inward force that balances the outward pressure of the gas inside the bubble, resulting in a spherical shape.

Is gravity to spacetime what surface tension is to bubbles?

In a way, yes. Just like surface tension causes the spherical shape of bubbles, gravity causes the curvature of spacetime. However, gravity is a much more complex and fundamental force, while surface tension is a phenomenon specific to fluids. So while the comparison can be made, it is not a perfect analogy.