1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Is Greiner's book series good?

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have used Greiner's "Quantum Mechanics: An introduction" and found it to be awesome, bridging the ga between undergraduate and graduate courses.
    So, I am thinking of buying some of Greiner's book to use for my other courses and I wanted to ask you what your opinions about the books in that series are.
    Also, does anybody know which books have many typos due to the translation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, overall the books are good. The only nogo is that in one of the first volumes the ##\mathrm{i} c t## formalism in special relativity is used.

4. Jul 16, 2016 #3
    I have used his Quantum Mechanics book(the introductory one) and found it very useful because i was using it in my introductory QM course and it has slightly more advanced mathematics than other standard introductory books(like Griffiths'). Are his other books like this also?
    Also, I am thinking of buying his Thermodynamics book but I don't know how good it is compared to other popular thermodynamics textbooks(like Schroeder's or Pathria's). Did you use it?

5. Jul 16, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

My favorite volumes of the series are the ones "Quantum Mechanics - Symmetries" and "Field Quantization". The thermodynamics volume I use sometimes for reference. I don't know Schroeder of Pathria. My alltime favorite for introductory thermodynamics/stat. phys. (for me thermodynamics should be introduced as (quantum) stat. phys. anyway) is Vol. 5 by Landau&Lifshitz. It's incredibly modern although written a long time ago.

6. Jul 16, 2016 #5
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted