Options After Graduating with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology

In summary, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree with a technology degree, but it is important to research and consider your career goals and the requirements of the school you are applying to.
Ulyaoth
So I'm finally ready to graduate next semester with a BS in Mechanical engineering technology. I've been thinking of my options now. I really don't want to be a technician, unfortunately I didn't really know the difference between an ME and MET degree until fairly recently, and then decided I'd just finish the degree so I wouldn't waste time retaking classes by transferring.

I'm just worrying now because some schools I've looked at for grad school have said things specifically about not accepting technology degrees, I've tried contacting them on if that means my degree or if that means like Devry degrees but got no response.

I was just wondering if I'd be forced to get a second bachelor's degree first before I could get into a grad school. Just leads to the problem of not wanting to push off starting my career for years, I'm tempted to take a year or two to just work and save money but then I'm limiting the usefulness of having an advanced degree, and besides it would be difficult to leave making money to go back to school. Any advice/ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to pursue a graduate degree with a technology degree. Many universities will accept a combination of both engineering and technology degrees for admission into graduate programs. However, it is important to research the specific requirements of the school you are applying to as they may have different criteria. It is also important to consider what type of career you want to pursue after graduation. Depending on the field, you may find that having a masters degree is beneficial. Consider speaking with a career counselor or academic advisor for more advice on this topic.

1. What career options are available with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

With a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology, you can pursue a career as a mechanical engineer, product designer, project manager, quality control engineer, or production engineer. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, or consulting.

2. Can I pursue a master's degree with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Yes, you can pursue a master's degree in mechanical engineering, engineering management, or a related field. Having a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology can also give you an advantage in these programs, as it combines practical skills with theoretical knowledge.

3. What skills will I gain from a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

You will gain a strong understanding of mechanical engineering principles, as well as hands-on experience with design, analysis, and testing of mechanical systems. You will also develop skills in computer-aided design (CAD), project management, problem-solving, and communication.

4. How can I make myself more marketable with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

You can make yourself more marketable by gaining relevant work experience through internships or co-op programs. You can also acquire additional certifications, such as the Certified Manufacturing Technologist (CMfgT) or Certified SolidWorks Associate (CSWA). Networking and participating in professional organizations can also help you stand out to potential employers.

5. What is the salary potential for someone with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

The salary potential for someone with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and experience. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers in 2020 was $90,160. With experience and additional certifications, you may be able to earn a higher salary.