Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Is height seriously genetic?

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    Like people saying that drinking milk and sleeping right will make one grow taller, but is there seriously any effect at all? It's a genetics right?

They say jumping or stretching make you taller, is that true?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Partly it's genetic but also height is governed by environmental conditions such as good nutrition. Hence why twins can be of different heights.

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    It can, but not by much. Those who stretch and have good posture stretch out the spine slightly. The effect of stretching is so minimal it's not really worth talking about.

Good posture won't make you taller, but makes you appear so becuase most people slouch slightly.

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4
    What food do you eat?

6. Aug 17, 2011 #5
    I think it's both really. If both parents are really tall, there is a high chance that their offspring will be tall aswell.

Although this is the case, it is proven that people who sleep longer and don't smoke are taller. Which is weird because you would think that stretching and drinking milk could make you taller.

But then again, you have the cheaters who just pump growth hormones into themselves to make them grow.:rofl:

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6

jtbell

Nutrition has its effect on height only or mainly in childhood. After you've finished your puberty growth spurt, it's too late. Maybe even before then.

8. Aug 17, 2011 #7

Ryan_m_b

To expand on this point everything that effects heigh only has an effect during childhood and adolescence (barring shrinking due to trauma). Growth after this during adulthood results in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly" [Broken] rather than increased longitudinal growth.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Aug 17, 2011 #8
    This may also be informative, although there is no reference to peer reviewed studies, this remark is interesting:

But that could just be anecdotal observation. Anyway, decades ago, our groceries had good vegetables around the year, compared to adjacent countries. Although the difference is reduced nowadays.

10. Aug 17, 2011 #9
    They say you get taller while you are sleeping because you are laying down and your body is free to stretch. Its all genetics just like hair color, facial features, and fatty's for the most part.

Im 6'5" so Im not worried about it lol.

11. Aug 18, 2011 #10
    Height is seriously genetic if you fall in love with a person who is two feet taller than you.

12. Aug 18, 2011 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Eat a lot of tall foods.

13. Aug 18, 2011 #12
    Avoid short foods.

14. Aug 18, 2011 #13

jtbell

Hmmm... asparagus, pretzel sticks, Slim Jims... OK, they're not tall in an absolute sense, but they have the right shape!

15. Aug 18, 2011 #14
    ahahaha! :rofl:

Don't forget french bread sticks :biggrin:

16. Aug 19, 2011 #15
    Wouldn't the environmental factors just influence the expression of the height related genes? Meaning that height is all genetics, just that environmental factors affect the genetics.

17. Aug 20, 2011 #16

Ryan_m_b

Not necessarily, hypothetically two people could both have the same epigenetic profile but one of them gets the nutrition needed and the other doesn't. In other words the gene expression is not altered but the effect of the gene expression is.

18. Aug 20, 2011 #17

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know about that. I grew another 4" or so during my freshman year at college. I think my height was stunted in my teens because I was a serious distance runner and never broke 125# until college. My cousin's daughter was a gymnast who was heavily into modern dance and ballet, and she never approached her younger sister's height. She's still pretty tiny and cute and gets carded everywhere she goes. She's in her early 30's, with a baby, and looks like a high-schooler.

19. Aug 20, 2011 #18
    After years of sleep deprivation I'm 5'8" so I'm not too worried.

20. Aug 24, 2011 #19
    well i am 6'4 and every one in my family is 5'6 or less so def not only gen

21. Aug 24, 2011 #20
    Check the milkman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook