Can Jumping and Stretching Really Make You Taller?

• Medical
  • Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, height is largely determined by genetics, but environmental factors such as nutrition and sleep can also have an impact during childhood and adolescence. However, after the puberty growth spurt, it is unlikely that these factors will significantly affect height. Some people may also use growth hormones to artificially increase their height. While there is some evidence that environmental factors can influence gene expression, it is not always the case and genetics still play a major role in determining height.
flyingpig
Like people saying that drinking milk and sleeping right will make one grow taller, but is there seriously any effect at all? It's a genetics right?

They say jumping or stretching make you taller, is that true?

Biology news on Phys.org
Partly it's genetic but also height is governed by environmental conditions such as good nutrition. Hence why twins can be of different heights.

flyingpig said:
They say jumping or stretching make you taller, is that true?

It can, but not by much. Those who stretch and have good posture stretch out the spine slightly. The effect of stretching is so minimal it's not really worth talking about.

Good posture won't make you taller, but makes you appear so becuase most people slouch slightly.

What food do you eat?

I think it's both really. If both parents are really tall, there is a high chance that their offspring will be tall aswell.

Although this is the case, it is proven that people who sleep longer and don't smoke are taller. Which is weird because you would think that stretching and drinking milk could make you taller.

But then again, you have the cheaters who just pump growth hormones into themselves to make them grow.:rofl:

Nutrition has its effect on height only or mainly in childhood. After you've finished your puberty growth spurt, it's too late. Maybe even before then.

jtbell said:
Nutrition has its effect on height only or mainly in childhood. After you've finished your puberty growth spurt, it's too late. Maybe even before then.

To expand on this point everything that effects heigh only has an effect during childhood and adolescence (barring shrinking due to trauma). Growth after this during adulthood results in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly" rather than increased longitudinal growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may also be informative, although there is no reference to peer reviewed studies, this remark is interesting:

Even people who have immigrated to the Netherlands from other parts of the world are taller on average than their racial groups in their countries of origin.

But that could just be anecdotal observation. Anyway, decades ago, our groceries had good vegetables around the year, compared to adjacent countries. Although the difference is reduced nowadays.

They say you get taller while you are sleeping because you are laying down and your body is free to stretch. Its all genetics just like hair color, facial features, and fatty's for the most part.

Im 6'5" so I am not worried about it lol.

Height is seriously genetic if you fall in love with a person who is two feet taller than you.

Eat a lot of tall foods.

Pengwuino said:
Eat a lot of tall foods.

Avoid short foods.

Pengwuino said:
Eat a lot of tall foods.

Hmmm... asparagus, pretzel sticks, Slim Jims... OK, they're not tall in an absolute sense, but they have the right shape!

jtbell said:
Hmmm... asparagus, pretzel sticks, Slim Jims... OK, they're not tall in an absolute sense, but they have the right shape!
ahahaha! :rofl:

Don't forget french bread sticks :biggrin:

Wouldn't the environmental factors just influence the expression of the height related genes? Meaning that height is all genetics, just that environmental factors affect the genetics.

TylerH said:
Wouldn't the environmental factors just influence the expression of the height related genes? Meaning that height is all genetics, just that environmental factors affect the genetics.

Not necessarily, hypothetically two people could both have the same epigenetic profile but one of them gets the nutrition needed and the other doesn't. In other words the gene expression is not altered but the effect of the gene expression is.

jtbell said:
I don't know about that. I grew another 4" or so during my freshman year at college. I think my height was stunted in my teens because I was a serious distance runner and never broke 125# until college. My cousin's daughter was a gymnast who was heavily into modern dance and ballet, and she never approached her younger sister's height. She's still pretty tiny and cute and gets carded everywhere she goes. She's in her early 30's, with a baby, and looks like a high-schooler.

After years of sleep deprivation I'm 5'8" so I'm not too worried.

well i am 6'4 and every one in my family is 5'6 or less so def not only gen

misnderstudge said:
well i am 6'4 and every one in my family is 5'6 or less so def not only gen

Check the milkman.

lol no i look like my father so unlikely

1. Is height really determined by genetics?

Yes, height is primarily determined by genetics. According to studies, approximately 80% of a person's height is determined by their genetic makeup.

2. Can environmental factors influence a person's height?

While genetics play a significant role in determining height, environmental factors such as nutrition, exercise, and overall health can also have an impact. For example, malnutrition during childhood can stunt growth and lead to shorter height.

3. Do both parents' height contribute to a child's height?

Yes, both parents' height can contribute to a child's height. However, the height of the grandparents and other relatives can also play a role in determining a person's height.

4. Is it possible for a child to be taller or shorter than their parents?

Yes, it is possible for a child to be taller or shorter than their parents. This is because of the complex nature of genetics, as different combinations of genes can result in variations in height.

5. Can height be predicted based on family history?

While family history can give an indication of a person's potential height, it is not a guarantee. As mentioned before, genetics is not the only factor that determines height, and other environmental factors can also play a role. Therefore, it is not possible to accurately predict a person's height based on family history alone.