1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is homework help plagiarism?

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    I usually find myself asking a question here if I get stuck on a question. Is this plagiarism?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would think that it would depend on your professors' rules, and whether the PF Rules on Homework Help were being obeyed. That's why we have 'em.

4. Jan 16, 2009 #3
    Guess I'll have to ask him next time I see him. I suppose the rules being obeyed make sense though.

5. Jan 16, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Asking for help and learning how to solve something is not plagiarism. That's why an effort needs to be made to get help.

It's up to you to learn how. There is no Exam Help thread after all, and that will be all up to you if you don't learn how to do it.

As Berkeman suggests though your Professor may have more specific ideas about that.

6. Jan 16, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Maybe print out a copy of the PF Rules in the part about Homework Help, and show that to your prof for his/her opinion. It would be interesting to hear back what their thoughts are.

7. Jan 16, 2009 #6
    Yeah, I'll pay him a visit with the rules (which I've just printed) on Monday. Thanks for the words. I'd like to see this thread stay open just so I can see what other people have to say on this topic.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?