Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is homosexuality less moral than heterosexuality outside of marriage?

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1
    Are heterosexuals who fornicate as morally culpable as homosexuals who do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

All depends on ones definition of morality i suppose

4. Jun 10, 2006 #3
    I realized that unmarried and active straight couples like my girlfriend and I may be the next targets of the intolerant zealots. Remember that you heard it here.

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And a million other places

6. Nov 4, 2006 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

morality is subjective, there is no absolutely right or wrong answer...marriage is ultimately a relationship that holds a status in our society as sacred, therefore making it easy for others to pass "judgment". those are the people who need to ask themselves, "do i have any right to judge another?"

7. Nov 4, 2006 #6

wolram

Gold Member

May be we should get rid of all the zealots, heard them all together on an island, surly then that island could be called hell.

8. Nov 5, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Eeh, whatever legitimate sources of morality have ever said that sex outside marriage (i.e, fornication) is wrong???

9. Nov 6, 2006 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This isn't much of a philosophical question without at least some rudimentary arguments being thrown back and forth. Why exactly do you believe moral zealots look down upon fornication outside of marriage? What types of marriage qualify? What are their presuppositions? How can they be attacked and undermined, rather than dismissed intuitively?

10. Nov 6, 2006 #9
    1. Moral zealots would look down upon fornication because of practical considerations - a greater chance of unwanted pregnancies, STDs and a perceived breakdown of societal structure - in theological clothes.

2. & 3. Marriage and its presuppositions, as defined by zealots, would conform to the "Defense of Marriage Act." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act

4. These would be attacked and undermined by the history of "abnormal" relationships practiced by the majority of society, and by marriage being primarily a religious and moral contract (violated by a majority under such), vs a biological and pleasurable imperative.

11. Nov 7, 2006 #10
    I think the answer to the OP depends on the definition of fornification. Are we talking about procreation or just individual sexual pleasure ? If the first, then only heterosexual fornification can be moral, if the second, then both heterosexual and homosexual activities would be equally moral.

12. Nov 8, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Fornication has the precise definition of sex outside of marriage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?