What is the Definition of Improper Time in Special Relativity?

In summary, this term is an idiosyncratic terminology used by Wolfram. It is not widely known and appears to be from his German language sources.
FranzDiCoccio
Hi all,

this is just a terminology question. I am aware of the definition of "proper time" (and "proper length") in the context of special relativity.
I recently heard the term "improper time", as opposed to proper time, of course.
Is that accepted terminology?

Sounds weird to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds weird to me too. Must be someone's idea of coordinate time.

Phinds, thanks for your help!

Ok so the correct (or accepted) terminology is "coordinate time".
Cool.

I did some searches for "improper time" and I get a relatively small number of hits, which makes me think that this term is at least not very widespread.
However one of these hits is from a somewhat authoritative source...

FranzDiCoccio said:
Phinds, thanks for your help!

Ok so the correct (or accepted) terminology is "coordinate time".
Cool.

I did some searches for "improper time" and I get a relatively small number of hits, which makes me think that this term is at least not very widespread.
However one of these hits is from a somewhat authoritative source...
"Time measured with two clocks or a single moving clock." Makes no sense. Time measured with a single moving clock is proper time and time measured with two clocks could mean most anything.

I have never heard of the term either. I would stick with “proper time” or “coordinate time”, both of which are well known and useful concepts. Using obscure terms can lead to confusion, even if it has a clear definition, which this one doesn’t.

Likes VEReade
In this context of "proper time", the word "proper" is not used in the usual English sense, but is used to mean "one's own" as in the Latin "proprius" from which "proper" is derived, and one of the meanings of "propre" in French. (The word "property" derives from the same source). I think the adjective "proper" in "proper time" was originally a translation of the prefix "eigen" from German, which has a similar meaning and has been left as "eigen" in other terms such as "eigenvalue" and "eigenvector".

Likes vanhees71 and sweet springs
Likes PAllen and vanhees71

1. What is "improper time"?

"Improper time" is a concept in physics that refers to a time interval that is not measured in the standard units of seconds. It is often used in theories such as relativity to describe time in a non-linear or unconventional way.

2. How is "improper time" different from regular time?

Unlike regular time, which is measured in seconds, "improper time" is measured in different units or may even have a different scale altogether. For example, in relativity, time can be measured in terms of space or gravity, rather than just seconds.

3. Is "improper time" a real phenomenon or just a theoretical concept?

"Improper time" is a theoretical concept that is used in certain areas of physics, such as relativity and quantum mechanics. It is not a commonly used term in everyday life and is not recognized as a standard unit of measurement.

4. Can "improper time" be measured or observed?

While "improper time" is a theoretical concept, it can be indirectly observed or measured through its effects on other physical quantities. For example, in relativity, time dilation can be observed as a result of the differences in "proper" and "improper" time.

5. How does understanding "improper time" contribute to scientific knowledge?

Studying and understanding "improper time" can help scientists better understand the complex nature of time and its relationship with other physical phenomena. It can also provide insights into the fundamental principles of the universe, such as the nature of space-time and the behavior of particles at a cosmic scale.