Is Impulse an Approximation in Trajectory Dynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of linear and angular momentum in the context of spacecraft engineering. The equations are only accurate for small movements over short periods of time, and there may be imprecision in the values used. Relativistic mechanics may also need to be considered for long-term predictions. The definition of impulse is exact, but using approximate values for time can lead to a smaller estimate for the impulsive force. It is noted that there may be some confusion and further clarification is requested.
Shaybay92
Hi all,

I am reading a book on spacecraft engineering in the section about trajectory dynamics. They define linear and angular momentum as:

##I = \int_{0}^{\tau}{F}dt## (Linear Momentum)
##L = \int_{0}^{\tau}{T}dt## (Angular Momentum)

But they (and so many other sources) always mention the fact that it is only used in situations where there is an insignificant amount of movement/rotation change incurred, usually over infinitesimal time periods. Why? Is there some inherent imprecision in these equations? If we know the time function of force or torque, would it not yield a correct value for linear/angular impulse over any period of time we desire?

Very confused. Would really appreciate some clarification here.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaybay92 said:
Is there some inherent imprecision in these equations?
The imprecision is in the values you put in. And for long term predictions those errors can accumulate. Also, in some cases you might have to use relativistic mechanics, of which the classical mechanics is indeed just an approximation.

Likes Shaybay92
Are you saying that practically speaking we can't know F(t) or T(t)?

Can you elaborate on the relativistic implications?

I am very determined to fully understand this concept. Thank you kindly.

The definition of the impulse you wrote is exact, it gives the change on the linear momentum as long as you give the the exact value of the force.

Likes Shaybay92
I hope you know that impulse acting on a body gives change in momentum of that body, which if we equate to integral F dt or Tdt , and substitute some approximate value of dt (time for which collision lasted) then we can get idea of the value of F (impulsive force) which is huge ,but far lesser than its actual maximum !

As of your question, I didn't understand it !

1. Is impulse always an approximation?

Yes, impulse is considered an approximation because it does not take into account the varying forces acting on an object over time. It assumes that the force acting on an object is constant, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios.

2. How accurate is the impulse approximation?

The accuracy of the impulse approximation depends on the situation and the level of precision needed. In some cases, it can provide a good estimate of an object's motion, while in others it may not be accurate enough and more detailed calculations are required.

3. What are the limitations of the impulse approximation?

The impulse approximation is limited by its assumption of constant force and lack of consideration for other factors such as air resistance, friction, and changing forces. It is also not applicable to objects that experience non-uniform forces.

4. Can the impulse approximation be used for all types of motion?

No, the impulse approximation is only applicable to objects that experience a constant force in one direction. It cannot be used for objects that experience changing forces or non-uniform motion.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of the impulse approximation?

To improve the accuracy of the impulse approximation, you can decrease the time interval over which the impulse is applied. This will result in a closer approximation to the actual motion of the object. Additionally, taking into account other factors such as air resistance and friction can also improve the accuracy of the approximation.