Math Help: Checking IN cos and sin Answers

• Thread starter db1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help to check their understanding of cos and sin. They also provide a link to a page with a picture, but are unsure how to resize it and don't want to slow down the browser. Another person suggests that their calculator may be in radians mode and they need to switch to degrees mode.
db1
Could someone take a ganders at this and see if i have it right please? i just want to make sure i got cos and sin right. if you could do the question and see if you get the same it would be great. thanks for your help
i just put a link to the page i uploaded it to, i don't know how to downsize the pic and i don't want to slow down the browser, i hope this is ok
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=bhnk89&s=5

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help with this please?

It looks like your calculator is in radians mode. You need to switch to degrees mode.

What is the purpose of checking in cosine and sine answers?

The purpose of checking in cosine and sine answers is to ensure that the values obtained from solving equations involving these trigonometric functions are correct. It also helps to identify any potential errors made during calculations.

How do I check the accuracy of cosine and sine answers?

To check the accuracy of cosine and sine answers, you can use a scientific calculator or a trigonometric table to compare your answers with the actual values. Another method is to use the Pythagorean identity or other trigonometric identities to verify your solutions.

What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking cosine and sine answers?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking cosine and sine answers include incorrect use of trigonometric identities, missing or misplaced negative signs, and incorrect unit conversions. It is important to double-check all steps and calculations to avoid these errors.

Why is it important to check for extraneous solutions when solving equations involving cosine and sine?

It is important to check for extraneous solutions when solving equations involving cosine and sine because these functions have periodicity and may have multiple solutions. Some of these solutions may not satisfy the original equation and can lead to incorrect answers if not checked.

Can I use checking in cosine and sine answers as a shortcut for solving equations?

No, checking in cosine and sine answers should not be used as a shortcut for solving equations. It is a necessary step to ensure the accuracy of solutions and should be performed after solving the equation using proper mathematical methods.