Exploring the Science of Infinity: Is It Possible?

• I
  • Thread starter pelletboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: I think that others share that difficulty.Do I understand correctly that if the universe is finite, the topology is not known, but if the universe is infinite, the topology is known (the Poincare dodecahedral sphere)?Regards,BuzzIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinity in relation to the universe. Einstein's belief that the universe is a finite spherical universe within an infinite space is questioned, and the science of infinity is explored. It is mentioned that the universe may be infinite in extent, but this is not a known fact. The conversation also touches on the possibility of the universe being finite and the difficulty in determining its topology. The idea of infinity in mathematics and its presence in everyday materials is also mentioned
jbriggs444 said:
Again, you fail to understand. The question is who has the winning strategy. If there is a winning strategy, one round is all it takes.
If player A has the winning strategy, then it must be because he knows how to specify a number that is larger than than that needed to exceed the volumetric size of the Universe, while if player B has the winning strategy, it must be because he knows that the universe has a size at least as large as any size that could be denumerated by A.

Wherefore, A could have a winning strategy only if the universe is finite, and B could have a winning strategy only if B knows its size to be at least as large as anything A could specify.

I don't see how this is equivalent to the question whether the universe is finite or infinite; if you do, please elaborate, instead of merely telling me that I don't understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
sysprog said:
If player A has the winning strategy, then it must be because he knows how to specify a number that is larger than than that needed to exceed the volumetric size of the Universe, while if player B has the winning strategy, it must be because he knows that the universe has a size at least as large as any size that could be denumerated by A.

Wherefore, A could have a winning strategy only if the universe is finite, and B could have a winning strategy only if B knows its size to be at least as large as anything A could specify.

I don't see how this is equivalent to the question whether the universe is finite or infinite; if you do, please elaborate, instead of merely telling me that I don't understand.
For about the third or fourth time, this is a definition of what it would mean for the universe to be infinite, not an operational test to decide the question.

jbriggs444 said:
For about the third or fourth time, this is a definition of what it would mean for the universe to be infinite, not an operational test to decide the question.
I disagree with your contention that it is such a definition. I think that none of your responses adequately addresses the issue I've raised regarding what I perceive to be its deficiency in that regard. In particular, it appears to me that by the parameters you've specified, it's possible for the universe to be finite, but ineffably large. I think it's possible that there are finite numbers larger than any that we could specify other than procedurally.

Haha, I think the OP has been totally confused now. He hasn't replied at all.

• Haha
Likes jbriggs444 and Klystron
Speculating what is outside our measurable universe is contrary to the rules of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed for Moderation...

cmb said:
Speculating what is outside our measurable universe is contrary to the rules of the forum.
... which is correct. We have no possibilities to confirm or falsify any theory which makes statements of "outside". There are some theories like MWI which predict something else beside our universe, but we have not found anything which would be even close to an evidence supporting it.

The thread will remain closed.