Is Isopropyl Alcohol Safe for Ingestion and Use on Surfaces?

In summary, isopropyl alcohol is safe and effective as an antibacterial and antiviral agent. It should not be ingested, inhaled, or gotten in the eyes due to its flammable vapor. However, ingesting a small amount will not harm you. It can kill the coronavirus, but it should be allowed to evaporate completely before drinking. It is important to keep alcohol-based sanitizer away from flames and to ensure that hands are completely dry before getting near any flames.
Matt204823545
TL;DR Summary
Is it safe to use it everywhere?
I bought a can of soft drink and was wondering whether I should spray 100% isopropyl on it before putting my mouth on it to drink. I did spray and it smelt bad but I wiped it off and drank the can. Is that unsafe or is it the opposite, safer than drinking without spraying? Would it kill corona virus? If I ingested some of the alcohol (didn't wipe off all of it) is it harmful?

I used this: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/3m-isopropyl-alcohol-surface-prep---125ml/347001.html

Biology news on Phys.org
Isopropyl alcohol is safe and effective as an antibacterial and antiviral agent, but don't drink it, inhale it much, or get it in your eyes ##-## its vapor is flammable, and it evaporates completely without leaving residue (other than perhaps something that might have been dissolved in it) ##-## oral ingestion of a small (e.g. < 1cc) amount won't harm you.

Likes hmmm27, berkeman, Matt204823545 and 2 others
Yes, 100% isopropyl alcohol will kill the coronavirus. Let it evaporate completely before drinking, so that it has time to kill the virus (about 30 seconds will reduce it by more than a 1000 times), and so that you don't drink it.

Likes berkeman, Matt204823545 and sysprog
Thanks guys!

Likes berkeman and sysprog
sysprog said:
its vapor is flammable
Yeah, if you are barbecuing or sitting around a campfire, keep the alcohol-based sanitizer well away from the flames, and be sure your hands are completely dry/evaporated before getting anywhere near the flames. Your Public Service Announcement for the day... :smile:

Likes sysprog

1. Is isopropyl alcohol safe for human consumption?

No, isopropyl alcohol should not be consumed by humans. It can be toxic and cause serious health issues, including damage to the nervous system, liver, and kidneys.

2. Can isopropyl alcohol be used as a disinfectant?

Yes, isopropyl alcohol is commonly used as a disinfectant due to its ability to kill bacteria and viruses. It is often found in hand sanitizers and household cleaning products.

3. Is isopropyl alcohol safe for use on skin?

Isopropyl alcohol can be used on skin, but it should be used in moderation and with caution. It can cause dryness, irritation, and even burns if used in high concentrations or for extended periods of time.

4. Can isopropyl alcohol be used to clean wounds?

No, isopropyl alcohol is not recommended for cleaning wounds. It can damage the skin and delay the healing process. It is best to use a mild soap and water or consult a healthcare professional for proper wound care.

5. Is isopropyl alcohol safe to use around children and pets?

No, isopropyl alcohol should be kept out of reach of children and pets. Ingestion of even small amounts can be harmful, and it can also irritate the skin and eyes. It is important to store isopropyl alcohol in a safe and secure location.

Back