Is Israel a Rogue State? A Discussion on International Controversy

US population is about 50 times that of Israel. So, pro rata, it would be as if 2.25 million Americans were killed by terrorists in the US. And most of these terrorists were actively encouraged by the leadership of a neighboring country.Imagine that. It would take a huge fence just to slow down the number of terrorists coming into the US, if that was our situation. And the fence would need to be hugely expensive, and hugley intrusive on the lives of innocent people, and hugely unpopular with the very people who the fence was being built to protect.And then imagine that someone from outside the US, with no knowledge of this situation, starts calling us names, because we use that fence

Is Israel a rouge state?

• Total voters
Hurkyl said:
The analogy is being dismissed as comedy, because it is comedy, rather than any sort of serious political commentary. You think otherwise? :confused:
The fact (or opinion) that it is couched in humour does not negate its validity as an argument. To claim it does would be an ad hominem (dismissing a valid argument based on who is doing the arguing).

It is no accident that Jon Stewart couches biting political discourse in seemingly harmless mockery. Indeed, one of the reasons it is so funny is because of how well it hits the mark.

It seems some people are mixing up cause and effect here.

It is is not that: it is a good argument because it is funny,
it is that: it is funny because it is a good argument.

This entire objection would go away of kyleb simply removes Jon Stewart from the equation and restates the analogy as if it were his own. Then objecters can simply attack kyleb's argument directly.

Physics news on Phys.org
"rogue state"

A lion will attack even if it is not attacked.

Any elephant will attack if it is attacked.

A rogue elephant will attack even if it is not attacked.​

Any state will attack if it is attacked.

A rogue state will attack even if it is not attacked.

You can't call Israel a rogue state just because it responds to attacks on its own citizens … that may or may not be over-reaction, but it certainly isn't being a rogue state, in the way that ordinary people use the adjective "rogue".

The definition quoted from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rogue+state?r=75" …
a state that does not respect other states in its international actions
… is simplistic and wrong.

A dictionary should reflect common usage of a word (or phrase), and this does not. :frown:

Incidentally, this definition is virtually the same as that normally given for "pariah state" (although dictionary.reference.com itself, surprisingly :rolleyes: does not have a definition for "pariah state"!) … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pariah_state" …
A pariah state is one whose conduct is considered to be out of line with international norms of behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Indeed, one of the reasons it is so funny is because of how well it hits the mark.

It seems some people are mixing up cause and effect here.
Yes, you and kyleb. It would be a ridiculous statement no matter who said it. The fact it's funny doesn't make it any stronger of a statement -- except to people who are easily swayed by that sort of thing.

But, just for fun, we can answer humor with humor. They keep the guy locked in the hallway because he keeps throwing rocks at them whenever they let him into the living room. :tongue:

DaveC426913 said:
This entire objection would go away of kyleb simply removes Jon Stewart from the equation and restates the analogy as if it were his own.
Yeah, I'm not one to present something as my own which isn't though. Regardless, I do thank you for emphasizing the distinction between the arguer and the argument.

tiny-tim said:
You can't call Israel a rogue state just because it responds to attacks on its own citizens …
Nor was I, but rather because Israel refuses to respect Palestinians rights under international law.

tiny-tim said:
The definition quoted from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rogue+state?r=75" …

… is simplistic and wrong.

A dictionary should reflect common usage of a word (or phrase), and this does not.
As I said previously when others made this argument, feel free to present whatever you might consider a more authoritative source for the definition.

Hurkyl said:
The fact it's funny doesn't make it any stronger of a statement...
I wouldn't find it funny if I didn't find it analogous to the situation. Like I see no humor in this:

Hurkyl said:
They keep the guy locked in the hallway because he keeps throwing rocks at them whenever they let him into the living room.
How do you figure "whenever they let him into the living room" is when the "rocks" are "throw[n]"? it seems to me the rockets are a response to Israel's refusal to respect the rights of the refugees, and the rights of Palestinians to sovereignty over what little of their homeland is still legally theirs under international law.

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
Like I see no humor in this:
I didn't expect you to; you don't seem like the kind of person who could enjoy a jab at something he believes in. Similarly, I expected you to be far more critical of an analogy "illustrating" an opposing point of view than one "illustrating" your own point of view.

But I am genuinely surprised that you cannot even see what aspect of the situation the analogy tries to capture.

This thread should have been closed a long time ago.