Is Israel 'special'?

• News
  • Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
kat
Originally posted by damgo
I dunno, pick any one -- present total population, total population in 1967, whatever -- something else if you think those would miss important factors. Quick googling gives for current pops in millions:

~2.2 West Bank
~1.2 Gaza Strip
~0.2 Golan Heights
~0.3 Sinai Pensinsula

So that's like 8% population-wise that has been given up.

The only reason I brought it up is that 91% land area seemed like an awfully misleading figure to use in this case... so my scientific aversion to abuse of statistics kicked in. I'll take you word on the Sinai stuff. :smile:
uhh...I was being a bit offhanded about the whole population thing, I don't really believe population is relevant to transfers of territorial occupation or ownership. Before I would even begin to consider spending time delving into any population analysis you really will have to explain to me how population effects % of territories taken and returned, I could see derived income, agricultural production, natural resources, security, etc. but I don't see the population=% territories.

You also must realize that by the time of the Israeli/Jordan peace agreement Jordan renounced its claims on the West Bank and was not interested in reclaiming it. Egypt after agreeing to peace with Israel was also not interested in re-occupying Gaza. From that standpoint, UN Resolution 242, was fulfilled with Jordan and Egypt. Both acquired all of the land that Israel had captured from their control except for those areas that they did not want Israel to return to them. So, of course, that is where it really gets legally hazey.

Israel is an evil supported by US for its own interests....

Zero
Originally posted by Moetasim
Hmmmm...too easy. Israel isn't a single entity, and treating it as such is too simplistic. Just as in anything else, there are good points and bad, and you would probably get along with 90% of teh population over drinks.

FZ+
*edited for PF guidelines violations*(1) Support of Israel in reality does not bring the US much gain. (2) All nations act in their own interests, what did you expect. (3) Never call a nation evil. Their leaders may be foolish, their policies harmful, their culture alien. But you can't say that Israel is evil. To do this is to over-simplify.

Last edited by a moderator:
drag
Science Advisor
Israel is an evil supported by US for its
own interests....
And pink ellephants can fly.

LURCH
Science Advisor
A co-worker and I were engaged in a discussion on this topic when he asked, "but why does the U.S. always seem to support Israel, with all their suicide bombers?", and I was forced to ask myself when I had ever heard of an Israeli suicide bomber. I was unable to think of a single instance, and so I decided I should ask here, where there are people a little more in touch with the international scene than I. has anyone here ever heard of an Israeli suicide bombing?

I have already tried a Google search for the words "Israeli suicide bomber"; it turned out almost 53,000 news articles which contained the phrase "suicide bomber" accompanied by the word "Israeli", in reference to those who had been killed or injured.

BTW-the reason I consider this question important to this topic:
If Israel is the only nation in that region who cannot list "suicide bombers" among their chief exports, or the only people group specifically targeted by these attacks, or the only nation in that area that does not target hospitals, nursery schools, or busloads of civilians, then my answer would have to be "yes"; this does make them "special". Not "perfect", but certainly "special".

Zero
Originally posted by LURCH
A co-worker and I were engaged in a discussion on this topic when he asked, "but why does the U.S. always seem to support Israel, with all their suicide bombers?", and I was forced to ask myself when I had ever heard of an Israeli suicide bomber. I was unable to think of a single instance, and so I decided I should ask here, where there are people a little more in touch with the international scene than I. has anyone here ever heard of an Israeli suicide bombing?

I have already tried a Google search for the words "Israeli suicide bomber"; it turned out almost 53,000 news articles which contained the phrase "suicide bomber" accompanied by the word "Israeli", in reference to those who had been killed or injured.

BTW-the reason I consider this question important to this topic:
If Israel is the only nation in that region who cannot list "suicide bombers" among their chief exports, or the only people group specifically targeted by these attacks, or the only nation in that area that does not target hospitals, nursery schools, or busloads of civilians, then my answer would have to be "yes"; this does make them "special". Not "perfect", but certainly "special".
What you fail to realize is that Israel is too rich to have suicide bombers, because they ACTUALLY HAVE BOMBS. And, of course, they sure don't mind dropping them on civilians. Ask yourself: why is it that troops are gunning down children on an almost weekly basis, and people still focus on teh suicide bombers as the ONLY atrocity? And why are teh Israelis killing 3-5 times as many Palestinians as they are losing their own, and are still somehow seen to be the only ones threatened?

FZ+
Originally posted by FZ+
*edited for PF guidelines violations*
Wohoo! Well, it wasn't really that bad. Just my opinion on the statement.

drag
Science Advisor
Edit

Last edited by a moderator: