1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore year?

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore year and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

eri

Re: Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore ye

If you can get into a research project early, go for it. It's easier to get into an REU if you've already done research at your own school.

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    Re: Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore ye

Wouldn't experience make it more difficult to get an REU? Since I thought REUs are supposed to be prioritized towards students at lower-tier schools without the resources to perform research at their school so they have a chance to get some experience elsewhere like at an REU

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

As long as the time requirement for the project doesn't require a sacrifice of attention to your coursework then I see no issue. In my opinion, developing good study habits and a strong foundation of knowledge in your first and second year should take priority, though.

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5

One sneaky thing to do is try and find a newer professor; they'll have more time for you.

I think the sooner the better too, I found out that I like doing research more than coursework so it gives me something to look forward to.

7. Nov 2, 2012 #6

How many hours/week does research take?

8. Nov 2, 2012 #7

Totally dependent upon institution/individual. Guy I'm working with is extremely flexible.

It depends on the set up too, there is a possibility I'll be getting credit/stipend next semester for research so under those circumstances he'll probably be less lenient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook