Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore year?

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore year and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

eri

Re: Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore ye

If you can get into a research project early, go for it. It's easier to get into an REU if you've already done research at your own school.

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    Re: Is it a good idea to join undergraduate research in freshman year or sophomore ye

Wouldn't experience make it more difficult to get an REU? Since I thought REUs are supposed to be prioritized towards students at lower-tier schools without the resources to perform research at their school so they have a chance to get some experience elsewhere like at an REU

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

As long as the time requirement for the project doesn't require a sacrifice of attention to your coursework then I see no issue. In my opinion, developing good study habits and a strong foundation of knowledge in your first and second year should take priority, though.

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5

One sneaky thing to do is try and find a newer professor; they'll have more time for you.

I think the sooner the better too, I found out that I like doing research more than coursework so it gives me something to look forward to.

7. Nov 2, 2012 #6

How many hours/week does research take?

8. Nov 2, 2012 #7

Totally dependent upon institution/individual. Guy I'm working with is extremely flexible.

It depends on the set up too, there is a possibility I'll be getting credit/stipend next semester for research so under those circumstances he'll probably be less lenient.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook