Proving the Metric Property of d(x,y)=|x3-y3) for a Given Function

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the given function, d(x,y)=|x3-y3|, is a metric or providing a counterexample to show how it fails to be a metric. The main focus is on proving the triangle inequality for this function and discussing different cases to consider. However, it is mentioned that there is a simpler way to prove the inequality and that the function is similar to the usual metric on the reals. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no need to consider different cases and the proof can be done directly.
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

prove that the given function is a metric, or give a counterexample to show how it fails to be a metric: d(x,y)=|x3-y3|

Homework Equations

ok, out of the 3 requirements to be a metric, 2 are trivial. The third is to prove the triangle inequality holds: d(x,y)[tex]\leq[/tex]d(x,z)+d(z,y)

should i just go through the different cases of x<y<z , x<z<y , z<x<y?? and if the inequality holds true for all of them I am done? I feel like there must be a better way to take care of this... Oh, and please don't spoil the question for me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As you have written the inequality to prove, you may assume [itex]x \leq y[/itex] since otherwise you can just switch the positions of the two variables. You still have to consider further cases but this should simplify the problem slightly.

since i already have that |x-y|[tex]\leq[/tex]|x-z|+|z-y| is a metric space, there must be a real direct way to show this holds true also right?

Yes, well precisely that is the triangle inequality for the usual metric on the reals. You're still working with the usual metric on R, so try to use the same triangle inequality you just wrote, except with each variable replaced by its cube.

I don't see another case other than the 3 in my first post assuming that x[tex]\leq[/tex]y

mynameisfunk said:
I don't see another case other than the 3 in my first post assuming that x[tex]\leq[/tex]y

There's no cases necessary. snipez90 already told you how to do it directly. This is a LOT easier than you think it is.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines a set of objects and a function that measures the distance between those objects. The function, called a metric, must satisfy certain properties such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

2. How do you determine if something is a metric space?

To determine if something is a metric space, you must first check if the set of objects satisfies the properties of a metric space. Then you must verify that the metric function satisfies the required properties, such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality. If both of these conditions are met, then the set is a metric space.

3. Can anything be a metric space?

No, not everything can be a metric space. The set of objects must satisfy certain properties and the metric function must also satisfy specific requirements in order for it to be considered a metric space.

4. What are some examples of metric spaces?

Some examples of metric spaces include Euclidean space, which is the set of all points in a plane or three-dimensional space, and the set of all real numbers with the metric function of absolute value. Other examples include discrete metric spaces, p-adic spaces, and function spaces.

5. How are metric spaces used in science?

Metric spaces are used in science to define and measure distances between objects or points, such as in physics and geometry. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to measure the similarity or dissimilarity between data points. Additionally, metric spaces are used in topology to study the properties of spaces and their structures.