Is it a myth that "Americans are too lazy to pursue STEM careers"?

In summary, the problem with STEM subjects in schools is that they are not taught well enough, and that the kids who are interested in them are not treated well. The problem with STEM careers is that they are not fulfilling, and that the kids who pursue them are not paid well. The problem with STEM subjects is that kids are taught to be leaders, but they are not taught the basics.
porcupine137 said:
(And, while this might be a good thing, as it was flat out dangerous at times, but could you imagine Action Park! in Vernon Valley going on today?)

It reopened this summer. Some of the rides are even the originals.

Physics news on Phys.org
porcupine137 said:
The beach here used to be PACKED during the summer, now it's like 1/10th the crowd.

Isn't that a good thing? Don't we want kids in the garage inventing stuff rather than at the beach? I'm reading a fascinating book, "Quiet" by Susan Cain, which highlights the problems quiet kids have with always being pushed to be social. They would rather be reading a book or programming their Raspberry Pi, but they are forced to go on play dates and other group activities. At school they are forced to work in a group when they would get on much better & faster on their own. In class they are encouraged to "speak up", never mind if the have anything to say or not. But they are discouraged from sitting quietly and thinking through a situation.

mal4mac said:
Isn't that a good thing? Don't we want kids in the garage inventing stuff rather than at the beach? I'm reading a fascinating book, "Quiet" by Susan Cain, which highlights the problems quiet kids have with always being pushed to be social. They would rather be reading a book or programming their Raspberry Pi, but they are forced to go on play dates and other group activities. At school they are forced to work in a group when they would get on much better & faster on their own. In class they are encouraged to "speak up", never mind if the have anything to say or not. But they are discouraged from sitting quietly and thinking through a situation.

I don't think it means they are all sitting in the garage inventing things. And what is wrong with kids having fun swimming and playing volleyball, racketball, etc.?? And you don't have to be social just to swim around and enjoy the water.

porcupine137 said:
Well how about this, how many kids come for trick-or-treat now? 3-5? or like 300-500?

All I see here now is pre-programmed activity that and pre-programmed that and special 'safe' arranged parking lot 'trick-or-treats' instead of throngs and throngs of kids running around all later afternoon, evening and late into night.

I live in a condo now so kids are not allowed to enter for trick-or-treating. But I can tell you in the neighbourhood I live in, there are huge throngs of kids trick-or-treating.

Or even buildling giant tree forts in the woods (with running electricity :) )?

Even when I was growing up, building a giant tree fort in the woods was uncommon. So I don't get why this would be all that common today.

The beach here used to be PACKED during the summer, now it's like 1/10th the crowd.

(And, while this might be a good thing, as it was flat out dangerous at times, but could you imagine Action Park! in Vernon Valley going on today?)

At least where I'm located, whether the beaches are packed depended on the weather. In Toronto (where I live) the summer overall wasn't all that warm except for a few very hot days (like today), and with plenty of rain, so I suspect the beaches weren't that packed. But on days with great weather, I can tell you the beaches were packed with people.

And did you ever hear about kids saying they felt burned out as they ENTERED college back then?

Yes I did. But then again, I'm half-Japanese and when I was growing up, I've had a number of Asian-Canadian kids among my friends, some of whom had parents who strongly emphasize the important of education, sometimes to extremes -- think of the "dragon parent" stereotype. So my experience may be biased.

Last edited:
porcupine137 said:
I don't think it means they are all sitting in the garage inventing things. And what is wrong with kids having fun swimming and playing volleyball, racketball, etc.?? And you don't have to be social just to swim around and enjoy the water.

Nothing wrong with it - different strokes for different folks. But kids shouldn't be forced to be extroverts, when they are introverts. Anyway, read the book I recommended to see the argument in full, if you've any time after all those sporting activities :smile: .

mal4mac said:
Nothing wrong with it - different strokes for different folks. But kids shouldn't be forced to be extroverts, when they are introverts. Anyway, read the book I recommended to see the argument in full, if you've any time after all those sporting activities :smile: .

I'm an introvert myself and I treasure all my times as a little kid down at the lake. You don't have to be a raging extrovert to enjoy stepping outside.