Solution to Finding Volume of Solid Using Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid bounded by the equations x^2+y^2=9 and y^2+z^2=9. The suggested method is to sketch the two solids and find the overlapping region, which is not a perfect sphere. The volume can be calculated using a triple integral, with limits of integration in cylindrical coordinates. The conversation also includes a suggestion to evaluate the integral in cylindrical coordinates instead for an easier approach.
lalah

Homework Statement

Find the volume V of the solid bounded by the graph
x2+y2=9 and
y2+z2=9

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I started this problem, I thought it was a perfect sphere with the center points (0, 0, 0). And then I thought, "Why do I need calculus, it's 4/3*pi*r3, right?" So I plugged it into the calculator and got 36pi. Then I thought... maybe that's not such a good idea.

Then I thought about doing the shell method, and multiplying it by two. But this is all under the assumption that I'm working with a sphere.

The hint I was given is to do it in the first octant, then multiply by 8. I thought about integrating the areas I was given (xy, yz), and then cross them to get xz, but after that, I'm lost. Do I multiply all of them to get the area, and then multiply by 8?

I am currently in the chapter dealing with multiple integrals and polar integration, if that is any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have the equations of the solid. Note that in both cases, one variable is missing. That means that it can take on any value and the solid formed would be parallel to the axis of that particular free variable. Just sketch the two solids and see where they overlap. That is the required volume. Just to note, it's not a sphere. Now what have you learned about finding the volume of a given region by multiple integrals?

Defennder said:
Well you have the equations of the solid. Note that in both cases, one variable is missing. That means that it can take on any value and the solid formed would be parallel to the axis of that particular free variable. Just sketch the two solids and see where they overlap. That is the required volume. Just to note, it's not a sphere. Now what have you learned about finding the volume of a given region by multiple integrals?

A rough pencil sketch gets me cube-like shape that's getting rounder.

The volume is a triple integral. V=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int_D[/tex][tex]\int dV[/tex].

I'm having trouble determining the limits, or setting up the problem for that matter.
V = [tex]\int_0^3[/tex][tex]\int_0^{\sqrt{9-x^2}}[/tex][tex]\int_0^{\sqrt{9-y^2}}dz dy dx?[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Those, separately, are cylinders. The region you are asking about is the intersection of two cylinders. It definitely is not a sphere.

lalah said:
[tex]V = \int_0^3\int_0^{\sqrt{9-x^2}}\int_0^{\sqrt{9-y^2}}dz\,dy\,dx\;?[/tex]

This is the volume of one octant of your shape.

lalah said:
A rough pencil sketch gets me cube-like shape that's getting rounder.

The volume is a triple integral. V=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int_D[/tex][tex]\int dV[/tex].

I'm having trouble determining the limits, or setting up the problem for that matter.
V = [tex]\int_0^3[/tex][tex]\int_0^{\sqrt{9-x^2}}[/tex][tex]\int_0^{\sqrt{9-y^2}}dz dy dx?[/tex]

I have this same problem on my work. I got those limits and ended up with some crazy integral by the time i got to dx that I couldn't make sense of it anymore.

You might want to evaluate it in cylindrical coordinates instead.

Fix a value of y. Then x^2=9-y^2 and z^2=9-y^2. So both x and z range from -sqrt(9-y^2) to +sqrt(9-y^2). I.e. for fixed y the x-z cross-section is a SQUARE. That's the easy way to do it. And explains your "cube-like shape that's getting rounder".

1. How do you find the volume of a solid using calculus?

To find the volume of a solid using calculus, you need to first determine the cross-sectional area of the solid. This can be done by slicing the solid into thin pieces and finding the area of each slice. Then, use the integral calculus formula to add up all the cross-sectional areas and determine the total volume of the solid.

2. What is the difference between finding volume with calculus and using traditional methods?

The traditional method of finding volume involves using geometric formulas and measurements, such as length, width, and height. Calculus, on the other hand, uses infinitesimal changes and integration to find the volume of irregular or complex shapes that cannot be easily measured or calculated using traditional methods.

3. Can calculus be used to find the volume of any solid?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the volume of any solid, regardless of its shape or complexity. As long as the cross-sectional area can be determined and integrated, the volume of the solid can be calculated using calculus.

4. What are the applications of finding volume with calculus?

Finding the volume of a solid using calculus has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and architecture. It is also used in many scientific and mathematical fields to calculate the volume of irregular objects or shapes.

5. Are there any limitations to using calculus to find volume?

While calculus can be used to find the volume of most solids, there are some limitations. For very complex shapes, it may be difficult to determine the cross-sectional area and integrate it accurately. Also, calculus may not be the most efficient method for finding the volume of simple shapes that can be easily measured using traditional methods.