Is it better to do a general degree, or a specific degree?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a university student trying to decide on a degree that would lead to a career as a teacher or working for a polling company. They have options to concentrate in two areas, major in physics, or major in general math/statistics. They are unsure of their career path and whether they prefer physics or math, and need to declare a major soon. Advice is given to choose what they enjoy the most, but also considering future job opportunities. The conversation also touches on the pressure society puts on students to make such important decisions at a young age.
jumbogala
I'm currently in my first year of university, and I have a couple options for my degree. I can:

1) Take a degree where you concentrate in two areas. You concentrate on one a little more than the other, but end up with a broad knowledge of both.

2) Do a degree in physics.

3) Do a degree in some kind of math... general math, statistics, etc.

The problem is, I'm not sure what kind of career I'm looking for yet. I'd kind of like to be a teacher, or maybe someone who works for a polling company.

I'm also not sure if I like physics or math better - I thinkI prefer physics, except for the lab components of the course.

I have to declare a major at the end of this year... aah! Any advice? Is it better to do a degree that concentrates in both areas? I could also major in math/physics and minor in the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you have to decide by the end of this year? Universities should allow students time to decide what they want to do...but I am not sure of your universities policies.
Anyways, if you want to be a teacher, then a concentration in two areas would be a good idea. Not too sure about the qualifications to work at a polling company, you should ask them.

DoubleMint

I remember my high school calculus teaching telling us that she became a math major because she didn't want to have to write term papers anymore; she claiming that lab reports were just glorified term papers...

Anyway, I would argue that the lab components of a physics curriculum are but only a small part. One of the complaints of physicists turned engineers is that physics curricula are too theoretical. Once you pass introductory physics (i.e. the physics that everybody takes), you will probably see only one to two lab class a year. Compare that to the engineers who will probably see that many each semester.

I suggest you do what you think you will enjoy the most. It's definitely not an easy decision but one that society makes us choose at such a tender age. Good luck.

my friend is 3rd year physics but he isn't interested in physics he wants to become an engineer abroad , he didnt work out in making engineer and i don't know if he is going to do well any advice?

doublemint said:
Are you sure that you have to decide by the end of this year? Universities should allow students time to decide what they want to do...but I am not sure of your universities policies.

Depending on what country you're in, the rule may be that you have to declare a major straight out of high school. That rule, at least, goes for most universities here in the Netherlands.

"or maybe someone who works for a polling company."

seriously, wtf. . .

1. Is it more beneficial to have a general degree or a specific degree?

It ultimately depends on your individual goals and career aspirations. A general degree may provide a broader knowledge base and transferable skills, while a specific degree may provide more specialized knowledge and training in a particular field.

2. Will a general degree limit my career options?

Not necessarily. Many employers value a well-rounded education and transferable skills, which can be gained through a general degree. Additionally, you can always supplement your degree with relevant courses or certifications to expand your skill set.

3. Do specific degrees lead to higher paying jobs?

It can vary, as there are many factors that can influence salary such as industry, location, and experience. However, in some cases, a specific degree may lead to higher paying jobs as it demonstrates a higher level of specialization and knowledge in a particular field.

4. Are there any advantages to having both a general and specific degree?

Yes, having both a general and specific degree can provide a well-rounded education and a diverse set of skills. This can make you a more competitive job candidate and open up a wider range of career opportunities.

5. How do I decide between a general and specific degree?

It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when making this decision. Research the curriculum and career paths associated with each degree to determine which aligns better with your aspirations. You can also speak with academic advisors or professionals in your desired field for additional insight.