Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it better to not be in love?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. Aug 22, 2008 #1

tgt

For those who like to achieve high, is it better to not be in love? You won't be irrational and can concentrate only on yourself and the things you want to do.

The only think of course is not having a family and be alone when you're old.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2008 #2
    no, it is never better to not be in love.

4. Aug 22, 2008 #3

tgt

that's more politically correct but how is it in reality?

5. Aug 22, 2008 #4
    That depends on if the person loves you back.

6. Aug 22, 2008 #5
    because you may make more money if you never fall in love, but if you are in love you can be happy with less money. I used to be into making money and I was a cynic then I walked into my house and someone was robbing it. They stabbed me in the neck and it totally changed me. I am not successful when it comes to making money. I'm pretty broke most of the time, but I don't care. I know what happens when you die and I know what is really important. It is so great to be in love. It is so great to want to come home and see someone you love. It is so great to roll over in bed and put your arm around someone you love. It fills you up in ways that your wallet never can.

7. Aug 22, 2008 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you please explain how it's NOT irrational? Seriously, I insist you explain.

8. Aug 22, 2008 #7
    I can't speak for others, but I am much better off in love.

On the practical side, my wife and I spend time taking care of each other, but since my wife has a part time job outside the home while I have a full time job, I think I come off better. Also, I have children. For all my efforts in other areas, they are my best accomplishment.

On the emotional side, what's to discuss?

9. Aug 22, 2008 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This one thing, but it is not the only thing. For example, being alone can be lonely even when one is not that old. At a wedding a couple of months ago:

[​IMG]

Also, in spite of the fact that some people don't want to experience the roller coaster feelings of love, other people very much *do* want to experience the roller coaster feelings of love.

It seems that you think such feelings are a bother, but as with anything human, it can't be expected that the entire population shares the same opinion.

A post of mine from a year ago:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1396378#post1396378.

10. Aug 22, 2008 #9
    Hey George, nice family. You look like Einstein in that picture.

11. Aug 22, 2008 #10

tgt

Firstly, do you agree that love makes you irrational?

I guess you could be irrational even without being in love.

12. Aug 22, 2008 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course love is irrational. But a large part of human beliefs, emotions, and decisions are irrational regardless of whether they're in love or not, so it would be a stretch to say that love is what makes you irrational.

I almost think your question would be better rephrased, "Would it be better to be a Vulcan with no emotions than a human?"

13. Aug 22, 2008 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

George, your wife is beautiful, your daughter is absolutely gorgeous, and you 'do" lokk a bit like Einstein in that picture! Great family!!

I have to say that I don't even know if I could fall in love. I might like someone, but love...eh.

14. Aug 22, 2008 #13

Astronuc

Only if one let's it be so. Being in love or loving someone doesn't necessarily make one irrational.

Infatuation is irrational.

Yes - that is certainly possible.

For me, loving people in the sense of caring about them is part of what life is all about.

15. Aug 22, 2008 #14

Astronuc

I concur. I can't wait to see GJ in 20 years time. Just don't get your picture taken with your tongue hanging out. :biggrin:

16. Aug 22, 2008 #15

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Ever think that it might be irrational not to experience the human condition?

You only get one ticket on the ride. Would you close your eyes to the wonder of it all?

17. Aug 22, 2008 #16
    Is this the same daughter that was just born?

18. Aug 22, 2008 #17
    I love 'love' itself and people in good love. It must be something good :biggrin:

19. Aug 22, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Love is just a mental state where one is not fully in control, i am not a Vulcan or a silk handkerchief poet, i just think love is wanting something/one and being lucky if you get it.

20. Aug 22, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think being in love makes it easier to be successful. You have someone to share your burdens with, along with the celebrations. Overall, it makes the burdens easier to overcome and the joys of success more fun to celebrate.

21. Aug 22, 2008 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Is it better to not be in love?

Was Einstein never in love?

If he had never been, would he have accomplished more? Would he have aimed higher?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?