Is it better to not be in love?

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, love makes you irrational, but it is not the only thing that makes someone irrational. Being in love or loving someone doesn't necessarily make one irrational.

Is it better for people who like to aim high to not be in love?

• Yes

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters
tgt said:
is it better to not be in love? You won't be irrational
Love does not imply irrationality. In fact, I don't think that an irrational emotion could possibly be as powerful as the unified desire of heart, body, and mind. If your love is irrational, then keep looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
rewebster said:
Being/getting married is different that 'love' though

I've noticed people conflating the two a lot in this thread. Love doesn't require marriage, and marriage can happen without love as well.

I voted no, though lately I don't know, I feel as if I might come undone.

Well, to be honest: there was this woman I cared a lot about (I still do); but she hurt me a lot of times, and that disrupted my studies sometimes. So, I would advise anyone to just focus on your work as much as you can (especially in physics).

It can be depressing; but that is why you have to have an anxiety outlet with your friends. Our group at Seton Hall decided to come up with lame Physics pick-up lines--kind of our lame way of dissing love..."Hey baby! You got more curves than a sine function on the integral from negative to positive infinity!"...was always my personal favorite.Something else about being or having an orthogonal vector too, but I swear I always disapproved of that one.

Yes...I know we were lame...but we were self-amused and not going to climb any clock towers from being so lonely at least.

FrancisZ said:
"Hey baby! You got more curves than a sine function on the integral from negative to positive infinity!"...was always my personal favorite.

I get that one all the time.

Math Is Hard said:
I get that one all the time.

The biggest groan though, definitely had to be...

"Hey, why don't we make a perfectly inelastic collision together?"

Last edited by a moderator:
FrancisZ said:
Well, to be honest: there was this woman I cared a lot about (I still do); but she hurt me a lot of times, and that disrupted my studies sometimes. So, I would advise anyone to just focus on your work as much as you can (especially in physics).

I don't think that's OP "love".

FrancisZ said:

But this is part of life; one has to learn these things, and learn to balance relationships and work.

In response to FrancisZ's bad jokes. I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTby_e4-Rhg

Evo said:
In response to FrancisZ's bad jokes. I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTby_e4-Rhg

*edit: I got it! That was excellent! :)

Anyway, my friends from Biology think this is hilarious (and it is). Kind of a mix-up between an Ah ha video and a boy band. Take a look...

http://www.eppendorf.com/int/hawkpopup.php?contentid=13

Last edited by a moderator:
FrancisZ said:
My computer stinks. I can't see it.

Definitely check it out when you can on another computer. I love that song! If only life was a logical as maths!

Moonbear said:
I've noticed people conflating the two a lot in this thread. Love doesn't require marriage, and marriage can happen without love as well.
While this is true, marriage without love or being in love is like a business partnership and that more or less defeats the purpose of being married, especially if kids are not involved. Certainly people can live together or get married for economic reasons, but in the end, I've seen such relationships take a toll on the people involved. I don't recommend it.

It's best to marry one who is one's soulmate, so that each shares their lives with the other and there is mutual support.

I fell in love with a number of women, and even though those relationships didn't continue to marriage, I still love each and everyone for what we shared, and because they are good people.

FrancisZ said:
*edit: I got it! That was excellent! :)

Anyway, my friends from Biology think this is hilarious (and it is). Kind of a mix-up between an Ah ha video and a boy band. Take a look...

http://www.eppendorf.com/int/hawkpopup.php?contentid=13

I think to be in love is great, as long as you don't let it get in the way of your goals in life.

I liked that video, and I must say it was pretty good :smile:

Hey, did anyone notice that George Jones guy looks a bit like Einstein in the picture?

:tongue2: