Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it good to take a nap?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Depends when you take it

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. May 22, 2008 #1

tgt

Is it good for a period of 1-2 hours? Explain.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    I voted for 'depends on when'. For instance, when you are driving an expensive car.

4. May 22, 2008 #3

tgt

okay. Let's use common sense.

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    Are you suggesting that I should not take a nap when driving an expensive car?

6. May 22, 2008 #5

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

I think js's answer is relevant to the question. If you actually have a biology question try that forum. This is General Discussion, also known as GD :smile:

7. May 22, 2008 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. That's what they invented TV's for, isn't it?

Two things knock me out almost immediately: TV's and riding an airplane (on an airplane, the oxygen level is knocked down a little making it real easy to fall asleep).

8. May 22, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently, the oxygen level is low in your TV room, too :tongue2: .

I love naps! At work, I'm lucky to have an actual four-walled office with a door - not a cubicle. So after I eat lunch I close the door, put my feet up and snooze for about 10 minutes. Perfect!

9. May 22, 2008 #8
    Oh, I thought it was Gagging Diversion.

Anyway about naps, there is some controversy I believe. Google for catnaps, power-naps and caffeine naps.

10. May 22, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted that it depends on when. If you have an hour left of work to get done, and take an hour long nap, then still have to get the hour's worth of work done, plus can't fall asleep afterward because you're all "refreshed" from the nap, it's not worth it. If you have 6 hours of work left, and an hour long nap will refresh you enough to get it done in 6 hours instead of 10 or 12, then yeah, a nap is a good thing.

11. May 22, 2008 #10
    I love naps, but only rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Any longer then that I wake up feeling hazey.

12. May 22, 2008 #11

Borek

And kidnaps.

13. May 22, 2008 #12
    I said "depends on when" because 1 - 2 hours is a lot of time to just sleep away. There's a lot more you could be doing. So what I do is take naps during class.

14. May 22, 2008 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A 2 hour nap in class is a lot of time, too. You could fall asleep in the middle of American History and wake up with a whole different set of people in the classroom - speaking French, no less! :eek:

15. May 22, 2008 #14

jim mcnamara

That's even more productive. You classes must be really entertaining. :smile:

16. May 22, 2008 #15
    No, naps are useless. They make it harder for you to sleep at night.

17. May 22, 2008 #16
    I hate naps, they confuse me.

18. May 22, 2008 #17
    No, if the nap is to do any good it has to be at least 3 hours long. Thats why military pilots on long range flights are allowed to take 'power naps' 3-4 hours in length. Less than that, and you lose coordination and dont wake up 'refreshed' if your pulling long hours.

19. May 22, 2008 #18
    I try to avoid taking naps, they mess with my sleep cycle.

20. May 22, 2008 #19

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not useless. It improves your party stamina o:)

21. May 22, 2008 #20

tgt

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. The main disadvantage of naps seem to be disturbing sleep.

When I say refer to taking a nap, I always mean at an appropriate time when other committments are not affected. So the only trade off in that case would be not being able to sleep as well in the night. Hence Moonbear, your answer wasn't quiet on ball.

22. May 22, 2008 #21
    Napping has shown many benefits.

John Medina even argues that we are biologically hardwired to nap for 20-30 minutes, which is why many people get that afternoon sleepiness, even after a good night's sleep, and that the north-american lifestyle of sleeping once a day is not natural.

I've recently gone back to napping (in Argentina, 5:00 pm: the streets go quiet. everyone naps for 30 minutes, and then the world starts again. I always found this 5:00 pm silence eerie when I was a child for some reason), and I must say I do feel the difference. I don't get that haze at the end of the day and have much more energy to do things.

The pitfall of napping is over-napping, which can totally screw up your sleep patterns. But to me 20 minutes is just enough to refresh my inner battery for the last 6 hours of my day.

23. May 22, 2008 #22

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

3 to 4 hours isn't a nap, for some that's a full night's sleep! I got through grad school by taking naps between about a half hour and hour during lunch time (and just ate quickly while heading back to the lab). That way I could get up for the early morning experiment before the 8 AM lecture, get through my morning classes, get a little sleep, then continue on in the lab until 9 or 10 PM (or all night when needed).

That's the whole point...I take them when I know my sleep cycle will be disrupted anyway. It's also why I answered "it depends." If you're only going to delay doing something that could be done by the time the nap time would be done and disrupt your sleep so you're in the same pattern the next day, it's not worth it. But, if you know you have to be up all night anyway, and that night might get a bit shorter if you aren't making mistakes because you're exhausted, then a nap is just the thing.

I was on the ball for the question you actually asked. Now you're changing your question if you say the nap needs to be at a time when you don't have other commitments that are affected by taking it or not taking it. What would be the point of that? If you have nothing else to do later, or are able to get regular sleep at regular times, there's no need for a nap.

24. May 22, 2008 #23
    Is that why I do a long session of head nodding forward, chin going lax, and head snapping back up, repeatedly, for the first while when I get on planes? I can be fully rested and put me on a plane, and I'm all undignified head movements and facial expressions.

25. May 22, 2008 #24

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...I'm the opposite on planes. No matter how tired I am when I get on and how much I wish to sleep during a flight, I can't sleep. Wait, I take that back. On a recent flight, I WAS so exhausted that I nodded off during the flight, right up until the in-flight announcement about beverage service nearly startled me out of my skin and I was then wide-awake, heart racing while waiting for the beverage cart (and remained wide awake for the rest of the flight...the heart rate finally settled back to normal though).

26. May 22, 2008 #25
    There's no such thing as a nap for me. If you try to wake me up too early, I'll attack you and have no recollection of it when I wake up.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook