Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it good to take a nap?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Depends when you take it

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. May 22, 2008 #1

tgt

Is it good for a period of 1-2 hours? Explain.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    I voted for 'depends on when'. For instance, when you are driving an expensive car.

4. May 22, 2008 #3

tgt

okay. Let's use common sense.

5. May 22, 2008 #4
    Are you suggesting that I should not take a nap when driving an expensive car?

6. May 22, 2008 #5

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think js's answer is relevant to the question. If you actually have a biology question try that forum. This is General Discussion, also known as GD :smile:

7. May 22, 2008 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. That's what they invented TV's for, isn't it?

Two things knock me out almost immediately: TV's and riding an airplane (on an airplane, the oxygen level is knocked down a little making it real easy to fall asleep).

8. May 22, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently, the oxygen level is low in your TV room, too :tongue2: .

I love naps! At work, I'm lucky to have an actual four-walled office with a door - not a cubicle. So after I eat lunch I close the door, put my feet up and snooze for about 10 minutes. Perfect!

9. May 22, 2008 #8
    Oh, I thought it was Gagging Diversion.

Anyway about naps, there is some controversy I believe. Google for catnaps, power-naps and caffeine naps.

10. May 22, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted that it depends on when. If you have an hour left of work to get done, and take an hour long nap, then still have to get the hour's worth of work done, plus can't fall asleep afterward because you're all "refreshed" from the nap, it's not worth it. If you have 6 hours of work left, and an hour long nap will refresh you enough to get it done in 6 hours instead of 10 or 12, then yeah, a nap is a good thing.

11. May 22, 2008 #10
    I love naps, but only rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Any longer then that I wake up feeling hazey.

12. May 22, 2008 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And kidnaps.

13. May 22, 2008 #12
    I said "depends on when" because 1 - 2 hours is a lot of time to just sleep away. There's a lot more you could be doing. So what I do is take naps during class.

14. May 22, 2008 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A 2 hour nap in class is a lot of time, too. You could fall asleep in the middle of American History and wake up with a whole different set of people in the classroom - speaking French, no less! :eek:

15. May 22, 2008 #14

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's even more productive. You classes must be really entertaining. :smile:

16. May 22, 2008 #15
    No, naps are useless. They make it harder for you to sleep at night.

17. May 22, 2008 #16
    I hate naps, they confuse me.

18. May 22, 2008 #17
    No, if the nap is to do any good it has to be at least 3 hours long. Thats why military pilots on long range flights are allowed to take 'power naps' 3-4 hours in length. Less than that, and you lose coordination and dont wake up 'refreshed' if your pulling long hours.

19. May 22, 2008 #18
    I try to avoid taking naps, they mess with my sleep cycle.

20. May 22, 2008 #19

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not useless. It improves your party stamina o:)

21. May 22, 2008 #20

tgt

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. The main disadvantage of naps seem to be disturbing sleep.

When I say refer to taking a nap, I always mean at an appropriate time when other committments are not affected. So the only trade off in that case would be not being able to sleep as well in the night. Hence Moonbear, your answer wasn't quiet on ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?