1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it harder to get into a good grad school when applying for high energy physics?

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    More and more I'm thinking that I'd like to do high energy physics in grad school. But at the same time I recognize that I'm not a genius and the competition is very stiff in high energy physics. So I'm wondering if applying to a particular school for their high energy program would make it less likely that I would be accepted.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Is it harder to get into a good grad school when applying for high energy physics

I don't understand. Are you implying that if you apply for grad school in other areas of physics, it would be "easier"? What in the world ever gave you THAT impression in the first place?

Zz.

4. Jun 25, 2010 #3
    Re: Is it harder to get into a good grad school when applying for high energy physics

I'm implying that many of the best and brightest physicists go into high energy physics and also that there are far fewer jobs in high energy physics than there are in more applied areas of physics such as condensed matter.

5. Jun 25, 2010 #4

Implying that only the "Brightest" and "Best" go into High Energy Physics appears irrelative. People enter certain field based on their interests. Yes, very intelligent people enter High Energy Physics, as do they enter Condensed Matter and various other areas of Physics. Just because one is intelligent doesn't define that they'll study High Energy Physics, I advise you to pursue what you wish, you will do well if this is what you enjoy, you'll fail at what you don't enjoy. High Energy Physics requires a large quantity of passion, as do other fields and if this is where your passion exists so be it- pursue it.

6. Jun 26, 2010 #5

Are you thinking about theory or experiment? Because if you want to do theory, then it is harder (but certainly not impossible) to get into some graduate schools (like top 10 universities) if you state this as your primary interest in your application. This tends to be true for theory in general (i.e. condensed matter theory...etc). However, I would not say that it is so much more difficult that you should be discouraged from entering the field. I got into many good schools and with hep-theory listed as one of my interests and my application was not all that stellar.

In terms of experiment, I would say it's not more difficult than any other field.

P.S. I wouldn't say that the best and the brightest only enter high energy physics...I don't think this is true at all.

7. Jun 26, 2010 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This claim has no basis on any evidence.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook