Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it immoral to sell kids on the military?

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think so. I see commercial after commercial about how the military will do this or that or the other thing for a person - provide education, skills, travel, teach you to look a man in the eye and shake hands firmly, :rolleyes: - and I have seen the results - mental problems, alcoholism, a lack of respect for life, cult style brainwashing [patriotism], not to mention four years of utter boredom by most accounts. Oh yes, and then there's the flag draped coffins.

I came within a few hours of signing a six year active duty commitment as a Nuclear Officer in the Navy, and I am very thankful that at the last possible moment, someone talked me out of joining.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Although the title is highly decieving, i get what you're saying. Oddly enough my nephew is a marine reservist and lets see..

Mental problems? No.
    Alcoholism? No (but then again he drank before even considering the military)
    Lack of respect for life? No (and of course that's just your personal opinion)
    Brainwashing? Dream on.
    Four years of utter boredom? Well he's been pretty bored so far. Oddly enough, he can't wait to go to Iraq but they have been delaying their call-up for i think 18 months or so already.
    Flag draped coffins? It's a military, people die, want us to disband it and go back to the stone age?

Whats with all the uninformed ideological rants lately.

4. Oct 23, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's with the single-data-point statistics ?

5. Oct 23, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a one-off, I knew a guy who re-upped just so that he could fight in Gulf I. He wanted to use what he had learned. In other words, he wanted to kill people.

Soldiers are trained killers. By defintion this requires a desensitization to killing.

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

There's a difference between lack of respect and de-sensitizing.

7. Oct 23, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Did you mean to quote ivan?

8. Oct 23, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm quite sure he doesn't want to kill innocent civilians...rather those people who are killing innocent civilians.

9. Oct 23, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I didn't.

Did you mean to ask someone else ?

10. Oct 23, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He didn't seem to care where he used his skills as long as someone said that it was okay to shoot. A Marine, he expressed great frustration as his commitment was nearing an end. He complained that one learns all of these skills but never really gets to use them. Then Gulf I flared up and he saw his chance, so he signed up for another term.

11. Oct 23, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have spent many hours working at VA hospitals.

12. Oct 23, 2005 #11
    Well either Ivan is making a generalization in which case all you need is a single counter example to show that statement is false or he making a statistical statement minus any of the required statistics.....
    So why are you jumping on the single data point provided by one person while you let the complete lack of evidence go without a hitch from the other person? Are you showing a bias here or do you have a good reason for that?

13. Oct 23, 2005 #12
    And so I value your opinion about VA hostipals. That does not qualify you to make the kind of statements you made.

I have spent many hours serving on active duty and not a single statement you made would seem to agree with my observations in any way. If your going to make sensational claims that go completely against observations then you should have some pretty convincing evidence to support it.

So far the only evidence is that you have offered is a personal account from working in a VA hospital....that doesn't cut it.

[edit]perhaps the patriotism part is true but mostly just by Marines and die hards....in the Navy FTN is the most common mantra held by the 4 year guys and I would even say they are less patriotic when they leave then when they came in.[/edit]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  14. Oct 23, 2005 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan is making a statistical statement based on his experiences. And with no knowledge whatsoever of Ivan's experiences, Pengwuino labeled him as "uninformed". He also backed up this barb with a single piece of anecdotal evidence.

I may be showing a bias here, but I think I had good reason to post what I did (as explained above).

15. Oct 23, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So it's ok to say our soldiers are brainwashed but woo, the hell if i get to say someone is uninformed because they made a broad inaccurate generalization?

16. Oct 23, 2005 #15
    You did have a good reason and what you posted is fine by me. What I don't get is why you don't challenge Ivan's points when they are clearly very weak?

17. Oct 23, 2005 #16

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ivan has based his statements not only on his experiences but upon his opinions. He dislikes the fact the the Marine re-upped in order to use his Marine skills in combat. "In other words he wanted to kill people". This oversimplifies the desire of the Marine to fight, down to a desire to murder. If you believe they are the same thing, that is justifiable. But many of us do not believe that.

18. Oct 23, 2005 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I responded to pengwuino's personal attack on Ivan. I also responded to Ivan's claim that the person he knew wanted to kill people, no matter who they were.

I didn't endorse Ivan's statement anywhere (as Pengwuino has just insinuated I did). I'm done with this bickering.

19. Oct 23, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh come on, if we're not going to bicker, what is this sub-forum good for then :D

20. Oct 23, 2005 #19
    Sorry to upset you....:redface:

I guess I take personal offense to post like Ivan's because I did spend 8.5 years serving in the Navy. I have many good and bad memories about it and I think I have a good idea of the pro's can con's of service in the Navy. I also worked with many Marines and so while I am not an expert on Marines I do value the opinions of my good friends who are Gunnys and Staff Sgts...

What Ivan's post is doing is denigrating a respectable job that people do for various reasons, the least of which is to kill people. If I felt he had an informed opinion then I would not mind him posting whatever but I cannot reconcile how unrealistic some of his statements are. They might have been true 25 years ago and even then only to some degree.....However I entered into service in 1996 and left service August of 2004. In that time the military changed a lot and those statements are no longer accurate at all. The last two years of my enlistment, I earned over 30 college credits while serving full time active duty. Those credits helped me to advance in rank. I also spent an average of 10-15 hours a month doing community service. In fact my entire command CNATTU Lemoore was actively involved in off duty education and community service.

What is so wrong with having military bearing, education and community service that we should try to keep kids from joining the military?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  21. Oct 23, 2005 #20
    An occupation that requires an individual to place their physical body in immediate danger of physical harm, so as to inflict physical harm with "skills" that have been learned upon an other individual, thus inhibits the individual's ability to perform any physical "skill" learned, and renders the "occupation" redundant.

Therefore, any individual that promotes the said "occupation" is NOT "right".

A TRUE "occupation" encompasses "skills" that are applicable without inhibitions.

o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?