Is it impossible for one to change his habits

In summary, although this was initially thought to be a medical question related to the brain and addiction, it has been clarified that the focus is on changing bad habits. The answer is yes, people have the ability to change their behavior at any point in their life. This can be done through a desire to change, seeking help and support from others, and being conscious and aware of one's habits. Some recommended resources for changing habits include the books "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Steven Covey and "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. It is also recommended to consult with a doctor or professional for guidance and assistance in making these changes.
Amine_prince
i am not asking for a diagnosis or anything , but it it impossible for one to change his bad simple habbits .
for example if someone is used in eating like a savage and he does not chew his food , can this person become normal ? and if someone is not organised at all , can this person become an organised human being ?
or is the brain permanently set to be like that ?

Biology news on Phys.org
This is not a medical question. But the answer is essentially yes, people retain the capacity to change their behaviour at any point in their life.

Ryan_m_b said:
This is not a medical question. But the answer is essentially yes, people retain the capacity to change their behaviour at any point in their life.
i classified this as a medical question because i though it has something to do with the brain and addiction .
sorry . though how can one change his habbits ? may i ask ?
can you guide me to some books or online articles ?

People quit smoking and/or drinking all the time, plus those that quit drugs, so sure, obviously people can change destructive behavior. I think the "how" varies considerably from person to person but the fundamental thing is that there has to be a DESIRE to make the change.

Amine_prince said:
i classified this as a medical question because i though it has something to do with the brain and addiction .
sorry . though how can one change his habbits ? may i ask ?
can you guide me to some books or online articles ?
As I said in your other thread and in our private conversation, you should go back to the doctor you saw before, and talk to him about this aspect of your issues.

Also, the Mentors have been discussing this, and have the following two suggestions:

you could answer with one of the more famous books about changing habits like Steven Covey's book "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"
...or the newer book by Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit.

Please read through those helpful resources, and then have a talk with your doctor. Thread is closed for now.

No, the human brain is adaptable to prevailing circumstances, other animals adapt to circumstances as well.

Amine_prince said:
for example if someone is used in eating like a savage and he does not chew his food , can this person become normal ? and if someone is not organised at all , can this person become an organised human being ?
What's normal? And when?
If at home someone licks their plate after a meal, slurps their soup, picks their nose, walks around in their underwear, ... , does it mean they will do these things in public, say at a restaurant, for others to view. Most times not.
As a simple matter of etiquette, and manners, which as behaviors can be learned, just as much as another language can be learned, people do certain things and they don't do certain things. Sometimes it is when others are looking and sometimes when others are not looking.
Just being conscious and aware, or at least trying to be, of the little habits one does pick up in life, is one of the first steps in progress to changing a particular behavior and habit, or eliminating it altogether.
Another step is being willing to do the change. It is possible to try and do on one's own, but like a lot of people, some help and support along the way from others, including from professionals, goes a long way to set and accomplish a goal.

berkeman said:
Please read through those helpful resources, and then have a talk with your doctor. Thread is closed for now.

1. Is it possible for someone to change their habits?

Yes, it is possible for someone to change their habits. While habits can be difficult to break, with persistence and the right strategies, it is possible to change and develop new habits.

2. How long does it take to change a habit?

The time it takes to change a habit can vary depending on the individual and the habit itself. Some sources suggest it takes 21 days to form a new habit, while others say it can take up to 66 days. The key is to be patient and consistent in your efforts to change your habits.

3. What are some effective strategies for changing habits?

Some effective strategies for changing habits include setting specific and achievable goals, identifying triggers and finding ways to avoid or cope with them, and replacing negative habits with positive ones. It can also be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a therapist.

4. Can changing one habit lead to changing others?

Yes, changing one habit can often lead to changing others. Habits are often interconnected, and by changing one habit, it can have a ripple effect on other areas of your life. For example, if you start exercising regularly, you may also find yourself eating healthier and having more energy for other activities.

5. Is it ever too late to change a habit?

No, it is never too late to change a habit. While it may be more challenging to change habits that have been ingrained for a long time, it is still possible with dedication and effort. Remember that every small step towards change counts, and it is never too late to start making positive changes in your life.