1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it legal?

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    Today I received a phone call from one of those automated political telephone campaign recordings. The number was blocked though!
    That really suprised me. As far as I know businesses of any sort must be listed and can not block their number. I realize that political campaigns, legally speaking at least, are not the same as businesses but I was thinking that the same rules would still apply. Am I wrong? Does any one know if this has changed or if there is an excption somewhere for these sorts of calls?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

I got a call like that once, but I picked up the phone and the automata said 'Oh Im sorry this message was intended for your answering machine'

I guess you'd know who it was about from the message, and then you could pay a little visit to their house :devil: :grumpy:

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    Yes its legal. Charities and Political compaigns are still allowed to call your house, even if you are on the national do not call list.

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    That's not what I mean. Their number was blocked, it didn't show up on the caller ID so I had no idea who was calling me and had no number for reference after the call. As far as I know it is against the law for commercial phone lines to block their number and I had assumed that such would be the case for political and charity type lines aswell.

6. Oct 18, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No, not for businesses, but telemarketers are supposed to have theirs shown. Were they asking for money?

7. Oct 18, 2005 #6
    It was just a messege promoting a candidate for fire chief or some such thing. They weren't asking for money.
    I'm not sure about other places but around here, as far as I know, businesses are not allowed to block their numbers telemarketer or otherwise. I'm not sure about numbers like this one though I had always assumed only lines for private persons were allowed to be blocked.

8. Oct 18, 2005 #7
    Yes, it's legal

Not only were they given a loophole to continue annoying you even if you're on the do not call list but they can do so in a manner that prevents you from being able to block them. Even if you have a service like the "Privacy Selector Service" some of them have computer programs that record a fake name so the call goes through. I've had several of these :(

9. Oct 18, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Fire chief elections that competitive statutory? :)

10. Oct 18, 2005 #9
    I live in Huntington Beach. This is where yuppies with too much money and time on their hands run for local offices because they have nothing better to do.:rolleyes:

11. Oct 18, 2005 #10
    I don't mind political telemarketers. I usually make fun of them when they call. Just totally take the piss out of them. I actually got the liberals to hang up on ME once. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?