Is it mathematicly/statisticly impossible for all of existence to be created randomly

I had understood that what the anthropic principle said was: to obtain a universal frame which tolerate inteligent life, we need so many fortunate choices in the selection of a lot of physicial constants that said choices seem to be directed, "manipulated".

What you say, hallsoftivy, seems to destroy said reasoning.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
According to Wikpedia:
the anthropic principle in its most basic form states the truism that any valid theory of the universe must be consistent with our existence as carbon-based human beings at this particular time and place in the universe. In other words, "If something must be true for us, as humans, to exist; then it is true simply because we exist."

time traveller d said:
is it mathematicly/statisticly impossible for the universe and existence (i'm talking from the moment of the big bang to when life first appeared) to have happened randomly? so many billions and billions of thing's had to happen just right from the big bang to when life first appeared with out anything going wrong to have happened randomly. i was just wondering if it was mathematicly/statisticly impossible for all this to happen randomly?
There would be an awful lot to take into account to even try to figure out exactly with a number if the universe and existence could have happened randomly (actually I shouldn't say randomly; lets say because of the laws of physics), and even if someone did try to take this on from a purely mathematical point, you could never get an answer that was absolutely correct. There are literally billions upon billions of things to take into account that you could never include in your calculations. Just to mention a couple issues; there's the entropy for every single thing in the unvierse, and the gravity that every single body exerts. Another thing to take into account that is a debate in Physics today is whether our universe is the only universe.

This would also be hard considering that we don't actually know for sure if the big bang was how the universe formed in the first place, thus we don't actually "know" how the universe formed.

One thing you must keep in mind, is that with the numbers and amounts of things that we deal with in daily life, a lot of occurences have a slim chance of happening, but dealing with something as vast as the universe the numbers you are dealing with are huge. For example: there is a drawing you want to enter, and it has already been predetermined there will be 100,000,000 tickets, you buy one. You now have a 1/100,000,000 chance of winning; which is 0.00000001%, therefore you probably wont win. With something as large as the universe and everything contained within it a percentage like 0.00000001% can actually translate into a rather large real number; In our galaxy alone there are about 100 billion stars, and there are billions of galaxys in the visible universe. 0.00000001% of 100,000,000,000 is 1000! Based on these numbers I have seen calculations for planets that could support intelligent life and the numbers were surprisingly high.

Yes we do live in many of what are commonly called "Goldilocks Zones", but with the numbers we are dealing with in the universe there is room for "us" to have happened. As far as what I have seen on the subject; it's not impossible that we are here purely because of the laws of physics. There doesn't have to be any grand design planned out by god, it is entirely possible that the laws of science and nature made this all happen.

I agree with what Hypermonkey2 was saying about maybe looking for answers outside of a math and physics forum. I guess it depends on what exactly you are trying to get out of the answer or why you seek it. For me it is interesting to think about the numbers and the vastness of everything in a scientific manner, but if you are trying to prove to yourself that god does or does not exist, that answer will be inside of you, not in here.

Last edited: