Is it OK not to think about Meaning of Life ?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation revolves around the meaning of life and what it means to live a "normal" life. Some suggest that there is no inherent meaning to life and that individuals must create their own purpose. Others believe that the search for meaning is an essential part of being human. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of introspection and finding fulfillment in one's own unique journey.
Saint
If I live a normal live, I work hard, earn $$$ to support my life, never worry, happy-go-lucky, take it easy for everything in my life, eat-drink-sleep happily everyday, never think about the meaning of life.

Is it OK to be such a human? Or, I'm just like an animal ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like you are searching for something. I also worry that none of us can tell you what it is.

Listen, if that's how you want to live your life, live it that way! It's your life! Don't let someone else tell you what you should be doing with it. You should be able to look inside yourself and decide what you want. If that is the path of the stoic ritious, constantly doing what you can for God, then do that. If it's to work hard, provide for your children, etc. then do that.

Maybe you should look into Zen. I think you would like it, if you could find someone to help teach you.

Originally posted by Saint
If I live a normal live, I work hard, earn $$$ to support my life, never worry, happy-go-lucky, take it easy for everything in my life, eat-drink-sleep happily everyday, never think about the meaning of life.

Depends strictly on which political party you vote for.

I don't ever think about the **MEANING OF LIFE**..but I do think about my life, and what it means to me.

I have to agree with sunfist. The mere fact that you're questioning yourself has meaning. You're looking for him, and when you find him, you'll realize it wasn't him you were seeking at all- It's the question that drives us-you know of what I speak.

Ok so I liked the matrix:wink:

But seriously, if you're asking that question, it means you're not satisfied with the answer you have. You've come to a point in your life, and you know how you got there, but you don't know why. The answer isn't as simple as math or physics- those questions have static answers, and it's the same no matter what. The question your asking is one you have to answer, because only you can give it meaning. One man's enlightenment is another man's wasted afternoon.

For me, I spent many years like a rat in a maze, chasing the cheese. And as anyone know, the rat never gets the cheese, he only runs to the end, or collapses from the effort. I found that I was running so hard to catch the cheese that I left what was important behind. So I turned around and went back to where I left off before the chase began. Now I'm making my own path instead of following the one that leads to the dead-end.

I don't know if that makes much sense to you, but that's my analogy, for what it's worth. Noone can tell you the answer, because the answer will only have meaning to you. All we can do is show you the door- you have to walk through it:wink:

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
-Ursula K. Le Guin

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought.
-Basho

Seek. Just seek. Don't worry if you wind up somewhere other than where you were going.

And, when in doubt, follow the white rabbit...(Sorry, watching Matrix Reloaded...*grins*)

If I live a normal live, I work hard, earn $$$ to support my life, never worry, happy-go-lucky, take it easy for everything in my life, eat-drink-sleep happily everyday, ...
If you find out there's more to it, would you please let us know?
In what sense is "human" different from "just like an animal"?

There's nothing wrong in living without asking dumb questions. "The meaning of life" is the same as "the meaning of the English language". English has no meaning, the concept of meaning doesn't even apply to a language. But you can use English to construct meaningful sentences. It's the same with life. Life has no meaning in itself, but you create meaning by choosing how to live. And that, like speaking, is ultimately a free and personal task.

So the question is not whether you should think about the meaning of life, for that is nonsense. The real question is, are you thinking enough about the meaning of everything you do? Because you may find some of the stuff you do means nothing to you or anyone else.

Saint, while introspection and self-consciousness (which give rise to questioning the "meaning of life") are qualities that are unique to humans, that doesn't mean that a human stops being unique if they don't take full advantage of such qualities.

We all have different purposes to our lives. The fact that you may choose not to search for yours, doesn't mean that you don't have one, it just means that yours doesn't require searching for.

That's as deep as I can get...now to swim back to shallow water .

At least as important as the meaning of life, is the meaning of the gift of a question. Sincere questions come from the heart and don't demand answers. They are our spontanious unconditional gifts to ourselves and the world around us. Why is the sky blue? Where do I come from? All emerging as if out of the mouths of babes...

Curiously enough, as with a child again, the fewer the questions and ansers we know, the more spontaniously they emerge. When I was young the birds in the trees seemed to play with me, and I never doubted their joy. The meaning of life was its miracle I knew, without questions, doubt, or reservation.

What is the meaning of life? What is the meaning of anything? Everywhere you go, there you are.

To see a world in a grain of sand,
and heaven in a wild flower
Infinity in the palm of your hand
and eternity in an hour

William Blake

Last edited:
i just put that all out of my mind and then make up a meaning of life...like live breed die to make room for more of my specices...but i hate this meaing of life so just to make sure I live happly i am ogign with live die

I agree with Zero that "meaning of life" is meaningless,
what counts is "meaning of my life":smile:

I agree with Zero that "meaning of life" is meaningless,
what counts is "meaning of my life":smile:

I don't necessarily interpret the two as being different. Depends on how you look at the original question from Saint I guess.

Yes it is ok. As a matter of fact I envy the person that can do this! I always think twice before I inflict my questions on unsuspecting happy people :smile:. The search for knowledge and meaning is absolute torture at times. It's especially hard for people open to a meaning outside of themselves, which seems to be rare judging from most of the responses here.

Saint,

Is it wrong to feel that way? no. Can we guarantee you'll never question life EVER? not a chance. I was much like you too. Everyone has a point in their lives where they come to question everything. That time isn't now for you. Just enjoy yourself and don't worry

Originally posted by wuliheron
At least as important as the meaning of life, is the meaning of the gift of a question. Sincere questions come from the heart and don't demand answers. They are our spontanious unconditional gifts to ourselves and the world around us. Why is the sky blue? Where do I come from? All emerging as if out of the mouths of babes...

Curiously enough, as with a child again, the fewer the questions and ansers we know, the more spontaniously they emerge. When I was young the birds in the trees seemed to play with me, and I never doubted their joy. The meaning of life was its miracle I knew, without questions, doubt, or reservation.

What is the meaning of life? What is the meaning of anything? Everywhere you go, there you are.

Very eloquently put (as always), Wuliheron.

1. Is it necessary to think about the meaning of life?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on personal beliefs and perspectives. Some people find it important to contemplate the meaning of life, while others may not see it as necessary. It is ultimately up to the individual to determine if thinking about the meaning of life is important to them.

2. Can I live a fulfilling life without knowing the meaning of life?

Again, this is a subjective question and the answer may vary from person to person. Some individuals find fulfillment in their relationships, career, or hobbies without ever pondering the meaning of life. Others may find that knowing the meaning of life adds depth and purpose to their life. It ultimately depends on the individual and what brings them fulfillment.

3. Does not thinking about the meaning of life make me ignorant or shallow?

No, not thinking about the meaning of life does not automatically make someone ignorant or shallow. There are many different factors that can influence an individual's thoughts and beliefs, and the meaning of life may not be a priority for everyone. It is important to respect each person's individual perspective and not judge them based on their thoughts about the meaning of life.

4. Will I miss out on anything if I don't think about the meaning of life?

Thinking about the meaning of life can bring about a deeper understanding and appreciation for the world and our place in it. However, this does not mean that not thinking about the meaning of life will result in missing out on anything. Everyone's experiences and perspectives are unique, and it is possible to find fulfillment and purpose in life without actively contemplating the meaning of life.

5. Is there a right or wrong way to think about the meaning of life?

No, there is no right or wrong way to think about the meaning of life. It is a complex and subjective topic that can be interpreted in many different ways. The important thing is to explore your own thoughts and beliefs about the meaning of life and find what resonates with you personally.