Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it OK to post link to pdf of a homework problem instead of typing it all out

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Is it OK to post link to pdf of a homework problem (google docs) instead of typing it all out? im just asking because im really slow typing math stuff and its faster/easier to post link to the prob.. will my homework questions just get ignored if i do this or is this acceptable ? thanks

(for example, a variation of parameters takes up alot of space and it takes me long time to get all my work typed out.. if i just have link to doc, its not just easier but notation is clearer too)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think that's okay. Just be sure to show your attempt at the solution. That's the most important part -- showing your efforts.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3

berkeman

Just to clarify -- it's still important to follow the HH Template format. You could link to a PDF for each section, or just for the problem statement, etc.

5. Mar 4, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I, for one, would prefer the problems be typed in the forum. It is much easier to edit the part you are responding, to delete irrelevant or correct steps, and to insert commentary at the appropriate points.

6. Mar 4, 2012 #5

Evo

I agree.

7. Mar 4, 2012 #6

jhae2.718

Gold Member

There are also security issues with PDF files.

8. Mar 5, 2012 #7
    Can't you just copy/paste the text from the pdf to your post instead of typing it out?

9. Mar 5, 2012 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my opinion,
    without the statement of the problem,
    the thread loses its value (as an archived thread)
    when the link to the pdf is broken.

10. Mar 5, 2012 #9

Evo

That's another excellent reason not to allow it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook