Is it OK to put a single paper under 'Publications' in a resume?

In summary, a Physics Major asked if it was appropriate to include a paper they worked on in a professor's lab as a publication on their resume, even though they were not a first or second author and only have one paper with their name on it. The response was that being credited as an author is enough to include it on a resume, and it doesn't matter what position they hold on the author list. It was also advised to make sure this is not their only paper and to include all important details in their resume.
Ashuron
Hi,

I am a Physics Major,
last summer I did a project in a professor's lab
the project produced a paper
the professor and post-doc put my name in the author section (not first or second)

So my question is, is it OK (appropriate) to put the paper under 'Publications' under my resume?
I am not the first/second author and I only have one paper with my name on it.

I am still in undergraduate btw.
The resume is needed for a program in my department.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you were part of that work and are credited as an author. It doesn't matter that you're 3rd author (doesn't matter as so far as whether or not you're allowed to put it on a CV/Resume).

..or under the heading 'Publication'. ;)

hint: 1 > 0.

cmb said:
..or under the heading 'Publication'. ;)

funny, I changed the heading just alst night ..

thx everyone..
my first paper..not sure what to do..

Ashuron said:
funny, I changed the heading just alst night ..

thx everyone..

congrats, this is a really big deal

Ashuron said:

Make sure it's not your only paper :)

You can put your details in a single page but make sure to add all your important details in your resume.

stevencruiser said:
You can put your details in a single page but make sure to add all your important details in your resume.

Old thread is old.

1. Can I include a single paper under my "Publications" section on my resume?

Yes, it is acceptable to include a single paper under your "Publications" section on your resume. Even one publication can demonstrate your research skills and expertise in a particular field.

2. Is it better to include multiple papers or just one under "Publications" on a resume?

It is not necessary to have multiple papers listed under your "Publications" section on your resume. Quality is more important than quantity, so it is better to include a well-written and well-researched paper than multiple average ones.

3. Should I include papers that are in review or in progress under "Publications" on my resume?

It is generally not recommended to include papers that are still in the review process or in progress on your resume. These papers have not been officially published and may not be considered as a strong representation of your work.

4. What if my paper has not been published yet, but has been accepted for publication?

If your paper has been accepted for publication, it can be listed under your "Publications" section on your resume with a note indicating that it is "accepted for publication." This shows that your work has been recognized by the scientific community and will soon be published.

5. Can I include papers that are not related to my current field of study or job position?

It is generally not recommended to include papers that are not relevant to your current field of study or job position unless it showcases transferable skills or a wide range of expertise. However, if you have limited publications, it is acceptable to include a paper from a different field that demonstrates your research skills.