Is it possible for an atom to have a pure electrical charge?

In summary, this forum says that friction is caused by an electromagnetic interaction, and that it is not possible to create a frictionless surface.
ARC123
Please don't hate if this is a stupid question, I am a freshmen in high school so I don't know this stuff.

What I am really talking about is how all atoms have some impurity in them which is why friction happens, but is there a way to create one with no impurity?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi ARC123, welcome to PF!

ARC123 said:
What I am really talking about is how all atoms have some impurity in them
An atom is an atom, it can't be impure. If you have a sample of an element, then yes, it will never be 100% pure.

ARC123 said:
which is why friction happens,
Friction has nothing to do with purity. It depends (mostly) on surface roughness.

ARC123 said:
but is there a way to create one with no impurity?
If what you are talking about is a sample (a chunk if it is a solid), then no, it is basically impossible to have it completely pure. It is a mixture to start with, and it's not possible to separate it completely.

DrClaude said:
Hi ARC123, welcome to PF!An atom is an atom, it can't be impure. If you have a sample of an element, then yes, it will never be 100% pure.Friction has nothing to do with purity. It depends (mostly) on surface roughness.If what you are talking about is a sample (a chunk if it is a solid), then no, it is basically impossible to have it completely pure. It is a mixture to start with, and it's not possible to separate it completely.
An atom is an atom, it can't be impure. If you have a sample of an element, then yes, it will never be 100% pure.Friction has nothing to do with purity. It depends (mostly) on surface roughness.If what you are talking about is a sample (a chunk if it is a solid), then no, it is basically impossible to have it completely pure. It is a mixture to start with, and it's not possible to separate it completely.[/QUOTE]
DrClaude said:
Hi ARC123, welcome to PF!An atom is an atom, it can't be impure. If you have a sample of an element, then yes, it will never be 100% pure.Friction has nothing to do with purity. It depends (mostly) on surface roughness.If what you are talking about is a sample (a chunk if it is a solid), then no, it is basically impossible to have it completely pure. It is a mixture to start with, and it's not possible to separate it completely.

Sorry for the confusion. I recently found a forum taking about a object being friction less. In the forum they say that what really causes friction is a electromagnetic interaction between the atoms of both objects. They also said for it to be frictionless the atom would have to have the same electrical charge. He says it theoretical but not in reality. My question was theoretically how would you make a atom's charge completely positive.
Forum link: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/frictionless-surface.218782/
Look at suolintu comment for reference

ARC123 said:
Sorry for the confusion. I recently found a forum taking about a object being friction less. In the forum they say that what really causes friction is a electromagnetic interaction between the atoms of both objects. They also said for it to be frictionless the atom would have to have the same electrical charge. He says it theoretical but not in reality. My question was theoretically how would you make a atom's charge completely positive.
Forum link: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/frictionless-surface.218782/
Look at suolintu comment for reference
That answer from suolintu is nonsense.

DrClaude said:
That answer from suolintu is nonsense.
Oh okay thanks

1. Can an atom have a pure electrical charge?

Yes, it is possible for an atom to have a pure electrical charge. This can occur when an atom gains or loses electrons, resulting in a net positive or negative charge.

2. How does an atom gain or lose electrons to have a pure electrical charge?

Atoms can gain or lose electrons through chemical reactions or interactions with other atoms or particles. For example, an atom may gain an electron through the process of reduction, or lose an electron through oxidation.

3. What is the significance of an atom having a pure electrical charge?

An atom with a pure electrical charge, also known as an ion, plays a crucial role in many chemical and biological processes. It allows for the formation of ionic bonds, which are important in the structure and function of many molecules and compounds.

4. Can an atom have a partial electrical charge?

Yes, an atom can have a partial electrical charge. This occurs when the electrons in a bond are not shared equally between two atoms, resulting in a polar covalent bond. The atom with a stronger pull on the electrons will have a partial negative charge, while the other atom will have a partial positive charge.

5. Is it possible for an atom to have both a positive and negative charge?

No, an atom cannot have both a positive and negative charge at the same time. This would violate the law of conservation of charge, which states that the total charge in a closed system must remain constant. However, an atom can have an overall neutral charge if it has an equal number of protons and electrons.