Exploring Strong Force Interaction in 2s/2as Tetraquark Decay

In summary: If I understood your original post correctly, you have two pairs of strange quarks and antiquarks (four particles total making up the tetraquark). One pair of strange quark and antiquark annihilates, while the other pair "go[es] on existing" to form the kaons. The gluon or photon formed by the annihilating pair should be able to produce either an up quark--antiquark pair or a down quark--antiquark pair.Thanks for the clarification!
eden2291
I'm working on a problem involving decay of a 2 strange/2 anti-strange tetraquark particle.
4 sample decay diagrams are given and I am to describe them and choose which is most prevalent.

In on diagram, two of the strange/anti-strange quarks become two down/anti-down quarks via gluon through strong force interaction, which then go on to form one 0-Kaon and one anti-0-Kaon.

Can someone please explain what exactly is occurring through the strong force interaction? Aka how are the strange quarks becoming their down counterparts?

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Physics news on Phys.org

The strange quark and anti-quark are "annihilating" each other, and the "virtual" gluon resulting from the annihilation is then "pair-producing" a down quark and anti-quark. A similar process can proceed via a virtual photon through the electromagnetic interaction, if that is more familiar.

daschaich said:
The strange quark and anti-quark are "annihilating" each other, and the "virtual" gluon resulting from the annihilation is then "pair-producing" a down quark and anti-quark. A similar process can proceed via a virtual photon through the electromagnetic interaction, if that is more familiar.
Awesome, thanks.

Also, what about if a strange and anti-strange quark, through the strong force (this one involves two gluons), formed an anti-up quark and up quark, which then combined to form a negative and positive Kaon?

I suppose the reason I'm confused is that I don't understand how an up and anti-up quark seemingly appear from nowhere, while the strange and anti-strange quarks still go on existing to combine with them to form the Kaons. I feel like I'm missing some major piece of information necessary for understanding this.

Thanks again!

eden2291 said:
Also, what about if a strange and anti-strange quark, through the strong force (this one involves two gluons), formed an anti-up quark and up quark, which then combined to form a negative and positive Kaon?

I suppose the reason I'm confused is that I don't understand how an up and anti-up quark seemingly appear from nowhere, while the strange and anti-strange quarks still go on existing to combine with them to form the Kaons. I feel like I'm missing some major piece of information necessary for understanding this.

If I understood your original post correctly, you have two pairs of strange quarks and antiquarks (four particles total making up the tetraquark). One pair of strange quark and antiquark annihilates, while the other pair "go[es] on existing" to form the kaons. The gluon or photon formed by the annihilating pair should be able to produce either an up quark--antiquark pair or a down quark--antiquark pair.

I find it harder to visualize any process involving two gluons... just make sure that all the quark--antiquark--gluon vertices in the diagram involve quarks and antiquarks of the same "flavor" (that is, either up--antiup, down--antidown or strange--antistrange).

1. What is the strong force and how does it interact with particles?

The strong force is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, responsible for holding together the subatomic particles that make up the nucleus of an atom. It is the strongest force among the four and is responsible for binding the nucleus together, overcoming the repulsive electromagnetic force between positively charged protons. The strong force interacts with particles through the exchange of gluons, the force-carrying particles of the strong force.

2. What is a tetraquark and why is it important in the study of the strong force?

A tetraquark is a hypothetical particle composed of four quarks. It is important in the study of the strong force because it can provide valuable insights into the nature of the strong interaction. By studying the decay of a tetraquark, scientists can better understand the strong force and its role in the structure of matter.

3. How do scientists explore the strong force in 2s/2as tetraquark decay?

Scientists explore the strong force in 2s/2as tetraquark decay by analyzing the decay products of the tetraquark. They use particle accelerators to create and study these particles, observing their decay patterns and energy levels. By studying the decay products, scientists can gather information about the strong force and its interactions with the tetraquark.

4. What have scientists learned so far about the strong force through the study of tetraquark decay?

Scientists have learned that the strong force is responsible for binding quarks together to form hadrons, such as protons and neutrons. They have also discovered that the strong force increases in strength as the distance between particles decreases, making it a short-range force. Additionally, the study of tetraquark decay has provided evidence for the existence of gluons and the theory of quantum chromodynamics, which describes the behavior of the strong force.

5. How does the exploration of the strong force in 2s/2as tetraquark decay contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The exploration of the strong force in 2s/2as tetraquark decay is crucial in our understanding of the universe because the strong force is essential for the formation and stability of matter. By studying the strong force, scientists can better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and the structure of matter. This knowledge can also help us to understand the evolution of the universe, from the formation of atoms to the creation of stars and galaxies.