Is it possible for the Moon & a pair of planets to conjunct as smiley face?

In summary, the supposed meeting of Jupiter, Venus, and the Moon on April 18, 2020 appears to be a hoax. After checking various sources and simulations, it is clear that on that date, these bodies are not in the same part of the sky. Furthermore, the Moon's size and position would make it impossible for the planets to appear as a smiley face. It is possible that this event occurred on a different date in the past, but it is not possible on April 18, 2020.
swampwiz
I was reading this:

http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2020/04/set-your-alarm-jupiter-venus-and-moon.html

It seems that for this to happen the Moon would need to be in-between the pair of planets and the Sun - but the Sun's path defines the Ecliptic, and the bright planets are all very close to the Ecliptic, certainly closer than the size of the Moon.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No reason why it's not possible.

Moon is only 1/4 degree wide.

1587245049913.png

After checking a couple of resources (Celestia, World Wide Telescope, and Horizons web site), I've come to the conclusion that this supposed meeting up isn't going to happen. On that day, none of these bodies are even in the same part of the sky according to any of them. The Moon isn't even that much of a crescent. Now on May 16, 2010, the Moon was a thin crescent, and Venus was also in the right part of the sky, (both in Taurus) but no Jupiter(It was in Pisces). I think this might be another of those "Mars will appear as large as the Moon" things.

Hmmm...

Given the 'classic" smiley face..

1587250868997.png

It appears impossible because the planets would be behind the moon.

If you instead want to say, "Yeahbut I'm looking for an approximate smiley face, I think you need to tell us how close is close enough.

How about close enough to entice astro-virgins off the couch to go out and gaze at the Heavens, possibly inspiring new hobbyists?

Likes jrmichler
Assume a spherical smiley face...there is a joke here somewhere but I seem to have lost it.
It is just the right time of year here...no bugs and maybe a sweatshirt...

DaveC426913 said:
Fourmilab's virtual telescope suggests Jupiter and Venus are nearby, though a pretty lopsided smiley.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Yourtel

View attachment 260921
Interesting. World Wide Telescope shows this for the relative positions of Jupiter and Venus for this date
( arrows are sight-line from earth).
system.png

Celestia shows this Looking over the Earth towards the Moon, neither Jupiter or Venus are shown close, though Neptune is in the picture.
moon2.png

You have to rotate the view quite a bit to see Venus, and by then the Moon is well off to the side of its orbit in relation (white dot on right side of red ellipse over by Mercury in the image).
moon1.png

Going by the Dec and RA given by the Horizons site, these are the positions of the three on that date:
sky.png

While the Moon and Jupiter look close in this image, it is a 360 degree wrap- around, and they are over 45 degree apart in the sky. Venus is over 90 degrees away from the Moon (which agrees with Celestia)
I wonder why the discrepancy from what you found?

Last edited:
Janus said:
I wonder why the discrepancy from what you found?
Dunno. But I'd trust a virtual telescope with a view of the sky from Earth over - er - spitballing it from a sim of the Solar System, but YMMV.

[EDIT]
I've changed my mind.
'In the sky' seems to be giving me similar results to yours.
https://in-the-sky.org/whatsup.php?year=2020&month=4&day=18&town=6167865

I'm wondering if this is a hoax - that it occurred on that date in some other year and they've just updated the year.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
No reason why it's not possible.

View attachment 260920
But the planets would need to be that much off of the Ecliptic so that the Sun would be on the other side of the Moon from the planets.

EDIT: OK, it looks like Venus & Jupiter are 3.4 & 1.3 degrees off the Ecliptic plane, so the Moon could just barely nudge itself in between, but it would still be "daytime" dawn/dusk so the planets would not be visible, and the terminator on the Moon would almost completely encompass the whole disk.

DaveC426913 said:
A minor point, but to be accurate the moon is 1/2 a degree wide.

Likes swampwiz
swampwiz said:
But the planets would need to be that much off of the Ecliptic so that the Sun would be on the other side of the Moon from the planets.

EDIT: OK, it looks like Venus & Jupiter are 3.4 & 1.3 degrees off the Ecliptic plane, so the Moon could just barely nudge itself in between, but it would still be "daytime" dawn/dusk so the planets would not be visible, and the terminator on the Moon would almost completely encompass the whole disk.
On may 16, 2010, this is what you would have seen from Perth, Australia (Sun below horizon).
MOON_VENUS.png

And on Dec 1, 2008, you could have seen this:

smiley.png

Not exactly the image being promoted, But I think we can be pretty sure that this recent one is a hoax.

Likes swampwiz
Janus said:
On may 16, 2010, this is what you would have seen from Perth, Australia (Sun below horizon).
View attachment 260968

And on Dec 1, 2008, you could have seen this:

View attachment 260969

Not exactly the image being promoted, But I think we can be pretty sure that this recent one is a hoax.
I hadn't thought of a pair of planets being at the same "hour angle" along the Ecliptic (whatever that is called) with the separation due to the angle of their respective orbital plane with respect to the Ecliptic. With that as a possibility, it's no problem for the Moon to be the proper smiley position. I could see a very good popping up every once in a long while!

sandy stone said:
A minor point, but to be accurate the moon is 1/2 a degree wide.
Dang it! I knew that, and overrode my first answer. (Google said radius is .26. Oops.)

Likes Klystron
swampwiz said:
It seems that for this to happen the Moon would need to be in-between the pair of planets and the Sun - but the Sun's path defines the Ecliptic, and the bright planets are all very close to the Ecliptic, certainly closer than the size of the Moon.

On the night of 1 December 2008, there was a frown. Below is a screen shot for this event from the Stellarium app on my laptop.

1587336622996.png

Vanadium 50 said:
Hmmm...

Given the 'classic" smiley face..

View attachment 260922

It appears impossible because the planets would be behind the moon.

If you instead want to say, "Yeahbut I'm looking for an approximate smiley face, I think you need to tell us how close is close enough.

Is it possible for a Moon and two planet smiley face to wink as Moon occults two planets simultaneously and then both planets emerge from dark side of Moon, not quite simultaneously?

George Jones said:
On the night of 1 December 2008, there was a frown. Below is a screen shot for this event from the Stellarium app on my laptop.

View attachment 260991
It depends on where in the world you viewed it from. The Moon moves at about 1/2 degree per hour relative to the stars. Thus the time of day you are viewing it on that particular day will determine its relative position with respect to Jupiter and Venus. Where you are in the world will determine what you would see while the Moon is above the horizon and the Sun below it. So in Argentina on that date sometime after sunset, you would see something like your image. However, just after sunset in western Australia, You would see that arrangement shown in my image. This is because of the time difference between sunset in Argentina and in Australia and how much the Moon moves relative to Jupiter and Venus in the intervening hrs.

1. Can the Moon and a pair of planets actually align to form a smiley face in the sky?

Yes, it is possible for the Moon and two planets to align in a way that resembles a smiley face in the sky. This phenomenon is known as a conjunction and occurs when two celestial bodies appear close to each other in the sky from the perspective of an observer on Earth.

2. How often does a smiley face conjunction occur?

The occurrence of a smiley face conjunction depends on the orbital paths of the Moon and the two planets involved. Generally, it is a rare event and can happen once every few years or even decades. The last time a smiley face conjunction was observed was in 2008 when the Moon, Venus, and Jupiter formed a smiley face in the sky.

3. What are the chances of witnessing a smiley face conjunction?

The chances of witnessing a smiley face conjunction are quite low as it depends on the alignment of the Moon and the two planets in the sky. However, with the help of astronomical predictions and advanced technology, it is possible to know when and where a smiley face conjunction may occur and increase the chances of witnessing it.

4. Is there any scientific significance to a smiley face conjunction?

A smiley face conjunction may not have any direct scientific significance, but it is a beautiful and rare celestial event that can inspire people to look up at the sky and appreciate the wonders of the universe. It also serves as a reminder of the intricate movements and relationships between celestial bodies in our solar system.

5. Can a smiley face conjunction have any impact on Earth or its inhabitants?

No, a smiley face conjunction does not have any physical impact on Earth or its inhabitants. It is simply a visual alignment of celestial bodies and does not cause any changes in the Earth's environment or affect human life in any way.