Is it possible: Supernova Bomb

In summary: Is it?No, it doesn't hurt. In fact, it's a common side-effect of the thought process.No, it doesn't hurt. In fact, it's a common side-effect of the thought process.

Will the supernova bomb work?

• Total voters
Kalrag
Here, tell me if this will work. A chamber made of thick lead is taken and a vacuum is put on it. There are electromagnets between the lead. A ball of unstable uranium and osmium that is plated with iron is put in the chamber and suspended by the magnets. Then protons and neutrons are injected into the chamber. For the bomb to go off the electricity in the magnets will spike tremedously. The protons will squeeze the ball to the density of a neutron star for a split second. Then the neutrons who have a weaker magnetic field will be delayed and come in after the protons. The neutrons will then split the uranium atom in a HUGE explosion. So, will it work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kalrag said:
Here, tell me if this will work. A chamber made of thick lead is taken and a vacuum is put on it. There are electromagnets between the lead. A ball of unstable uranium and osmium that is plated with iron is put in the chamber and suspended by the magnets. Then protons and neutrons are injected into the chamber. For the bomb to go off the electricity in the magnets will spike tremedously. The protons will squeeze the ball to the density of a neutron star for a split second. Then the neutrons who have a weaker magnetic field will be delayed and come in after the protons. The neutrons will then split the uranium atom in a HUGE explosion. So, will it work?

It will work if you use about 10 solar masses. :)

Otherwise I think the proposed method will fall short of producing the needed pressure by MANY orders of magnitude, and the energy required will be larger than you can get from fissioning the uranium.

but would it make a bigger blast than normal?

Try calculating the energy necessary to compress a macroscopic ball of matter (say 10 kg) to nuclear density.

Kalrag said:
The protons will squeeze the ball to the density of a neutron star for a split second.
Not to rain on your parade, but how is that even possible with your scenario?

Is there something about the current hydrogen bomb that you think doesn't cut it?

Forget magnets, a hydrogen bomb compresses its core by exploding several atom bombs around it.

DaveC426913 said:
Forget magnets, a hydrogen bomb compresses its core by exploding several atom bombs around it.

:confused: :bugeye:

"Try calculating the energy necessary to compress a macroscopic ball of matter (say 10 kg) to nuclear density."

What do you mean? And how would i do that?

MATLABdude said:
A fission bomb (few kT TNT equivalent) compresses the fusion fuel, thus igniting the fusion bomb (MT TNT equivalent).
Yeah, I'm familiar with the concept. It was the "several atom bombs around it" part that threw me off. That particular phrasing suggests something quite different (to me, at least).

Kalrag said:

lol, I know from personal experience a "nova bomb" would be possible to make. I must say, however, that your ideas of the design are a bit off ;)

P.S. Long Live Liberty

Elijah said:
lol, I know from personal experience a "nova bomb" would be possible to make.

Yah. Atomic Physicists often lol. :rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:
Yah. Atomic Physicists often lol. :rolleyes:

lol, I'm no atomic physicist, I just know people involved in the making of such a device within the U.S. Gov. - that's why I said long live liberty, but you guys wouldn't know why I say that ;)

Elijah said:
lol, I'm no atomic physicist, I just know people involved in the making of such a device within the U.S. Gov. - that's why I said long live liberty, but you guys wouldn't know why I say that ;)

How mysterious of you.

DaveC426913 said:
How mysterious of you.

Is it?

P.S."Doesn't it hurt when you think, THEN STOP DOING IT!" (quote from someone I know ((not a movie or book title I mean somebody that I know)

Allright let's get back on topic. Elijah, you said that you know its possible but my design is off a bit. Can tell me what's wrong with it and help me fix it? Help me out here, you know what your talking about.

Elijah said:
lol, I'm no atomic physicist, I just know people involved in the making of such a device within the U.S. Gov. - that's why I said long live liberty

With no particular offense intended, there is nothing that says "loss of liberty" more than having the Yank military in charge of any kind of arsenal. It might work for your population, but to the rest of the world it's just "bully" tactics.

Kalrag said:
Allright let's get back on topic. Elijah, you said that you know its possible but my design is off a bit. Can tell me what's wrong with it and help me fix it? Help me out here, you know what your talking about.

His 1 other post on this forum shows he doesn't know the very basics of physics. I'd consider someone else for a source of information.

What the OP is describing sounds to me like a regular gun-type uranium fission bomb, but using electrostatics instead of gunpowder. I suppose if you had powerful enough magnets, this could result in a more efficient bomb, since you could accelerate the critical mass together faster than with chemical explosives. However I don't see how this has anything to do with supernovas?

QuantumPion said:
don't see how this has anything to do with supernovas?

It has nothing to do with them. A supernova requires a star of at least 3.2 Solar masses to collapse under its own gravity.
What the OP suggested seems to be a kindergarten explanation of a neutron bomb, aside from the actual operating principles—H-bomb with a standard A-bomb trigger, wrapped in a U-238 jacket which spits out prodigious amounts of neutrons when bombarded from within by the fusion output.

Danger said:
With no particular offense intended, there is nothing that says "loss of liberty" more than having the Yank military in charge of any kind of arsenal. It might work for your population, but to the rest of the world it's just "bully" tactics.

lol, what I said was that I know people INVOLVED in the U.S. Gov.'s creation of this device, not that THEY were the ones making it.

P.S. If anything I stated previously something 'suggestive' to the idea that I knew guys trying to stop its creation ;)

Pengwuino said:
His 1 other post on this forum shows he doesn't know the very basics of physics. I'd consider someone else for a source of information.

And what knowledge do you know of that says that my statements -intentionally vague- otherwise (not vague ) would be anything but following directly along today's physics. perhaps one should not judge that an answer is wrong until they know the right one (semi-metaphorically speaking)

p.s. and If I truly was then so are the people who designed a theoretically functional version of it who work within the government of the united states

P.S.S LONG LIVE LIBERTY

Back on topic people. Elijah please, so fart your the only one that said yes in the poll. Help me here.

Elijah said:
And what knowledge do you know of that says that my statements -intentionally vague- otherwise (not vague ) would be anything but following directly along today's physics. perhaps one should not judge that an answer is wrong until they know the right one (semi-metaphorically speaking)

p.s. and If I truly was then so are the people who designed a theoretically functional version of it who work within the government of the united states

P.S.S LONG LIVE LIBERTY

I know someone somewhere at some point who may or may not have told me that I know everything. Maybe.

They work for the French though.

Kalrag said:
No - it is an inane scenario and reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of physics.

Thread locked.

Last edited:

1. Is it possible for a supernova to explode like a bomb?

Yes, it is possible for a supernova to explode like a bomb. In fact, this is the main way that supernovae release their energy. The explosion of a supernova is caused by a massive release of energy, which can be equivalent to billions of nuclear bombs exploding simultaneously.

2. How does a supernova explosion compare to a nuclear bomb explosion?

A supernova explosion is much more powerful than a nuclear bomb explosion. While a nuclear bomb releases energy equivalent to a few hundred kilotons of TNT, a supernova can release energy equivalent to billions of times the energy released by a nuclear bomb.

3. Can a supernova explosion harm Earth?

Yes, a supernova explosion can harm Earth if it occurs close enough to our planet. The intense radiation and high-energy particles released by a supernova can damage Earth's ozone layer and potentially cause mass extinction. However, the likelihood of a supernova occurring in close proximity to Earth is very low.

4. How often do supernovae explode like bombs?

Supernovae are relatively rare events, with only a few occurring in our galaxy every century. However, the exact frequency of supernova explosions is difficult to determine as they can occur in other galaxies that are not easily observable.

5. Can we predict when a supernova will explode like a bomb?

Currently, we cannot predict when a supernova will explode like a bomb with complete accuracy. However, scientists are constantly monitoring and studying potential supernova candidates, which can give us an idea of when a supernova may occur in the future. Additionally, advancements in technology and observation techniques may one day allow us to predict supernovae with more precision.