Is it possible to amplify uniforn current?

• Thread starter aekanshchumber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: in summary, you may need an instrumentation amplifier to amplify a uniform current, though it's promising that your application is being discussed.
aekanshchumber
Hello,
Will please anyone help me out of this, i want to know that can a uniform current no matter a.c or d.c be amplified. I am working on a experiment in which the current which will e induced by a photodiode will have to be amplified. I know that we can amplify A.C using transformers also amplification is also done in a t.v set.
But the probem is we know that signals in both the transformer and t.v set are not uniform but in this experiment we do not know that will current indused will be uniform or non-uniform as it all depend on the frequency of the light and its intensity at the moment.
any kind of help is really appreciated.
Thanx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
aekanshchumber said:
Hello,
Will please anyone help me out of this, i want to know that can a uniform current no matter a.c or d.c be amplified. I am working on a experiment in which the current which will e induced by a photodiode will have to be amplified. I know that we can amplify A.C using transformers also amplification is also done in a t.v set.
But the probem is we know that signals in both the transformer and t.v set are not uniform but in this experiment we do not know that will current indused will be uniform or non-uniform as it all depend on the frequency of the light and its intensity at the moment.
any kind of help is really appreciated.
Thanx.

You can amplify uniform currents, but in general you will have problems with extremely high gains in doing this, due to offset problems. This means that zero current in will tend to produce some signal that is not zero, due to imperfections in the amplifier, if the gain is high enough. Furthermore, the signal so produced will tend to "drift" with time.

I think the best circuits for this are still operational amplifiers - the high priced high performance version of these are called instrumentation amplifiers

I think a standard current-voltage conversion would be your best bet offhand, connect one end of the photodiode to a bias voltage, the other side of the photodiode to the negative terminal of an op amp/ instrumentation amplifier, and connect a resistor from the output of the op amp to the negative terminal. The positive terminal of the op amp goes to a reference signal / ground. (Usually you need positive and negative supplies for an op amp circuit).

The gain of the circuit will be set by the value of the resistor, i.e. the output current will be the photodiode current times the value of the resistor.

http://ezphysics.nchu.edu.tw/prophys/ael/File/Datasheet/AD648JQ.pdf

has, if you look far enough, a "dual photodiode" amplifier, you just want 1/2 of that circuit.

I really don't know much about the specific op-amp discussed in the data sheet, there may be better ones for your purpose, though it is promising that your application is discussed. The input current and offset voltage look quite low - OTOH it may be pricey, usually good specs come at a high price.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to accomplish. If you run into too many problems with the DC coupled approach, you may have to resort to AC coupling, even if you don't want to.

You might consider moving this thread to the electrical engineering section of the board as well...

Yes, it is possible to amplify uniform current. In fact, amplification of both AC and DC currents is a common practice in various fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems. The key factor in amplification is not the uniformity of the current, but rather its strength or amplitude. As long as the current has a measurable magnitude, it can be amplified using various techniques such as transistors, op-amps, and transformers.

In your experiment, the current induced by the photodiode can definitely be amplified, regardless of whether it is uniform or non-uniform. The important thing is to ensure that the current is strong enough to be amplified. This can be achieved by adjusting the frequency and intensity of the light source, as you mentioned.

I would recommend consulting with a knowledgeable expert in the field of electronics to determine the best amplification method for your specific experiment. They can also provide guidance on how to ensure a strong and stable current for amplification. Best of luck with your experiment!

1. Can uniform current be amplified?

Yes, it is possible to amplify uniform current. Amplification refers to increasing the strength or magnitude of a signal, and this can be achieved with uniform current through various methods depending on the specific application.

2. What is uniform current?

Uniform current is a steady and constant flow of electric charge through a conductor. It has a consistent direction and magnitude, and does not vary over time. This type of current is commonly used in electronic circuits and power transmission systems.

3. How is uniform current produced?

Uniform current can be produced by a direct current (DC) source, such as a battery or power supply, connected to a circuit. It can also be generated by alternating current (AC) sources, but only if the frequency is constant and the amplitude remains unchanged.

4. What are some methods to amplify uniform current?

There are several ways to amplify uniform current, including using a transistor amplifier, an operational amplifier, or a transformer. These methods involve using electronic components to increase the strength of the current while maintaining its uniform nature.

5. What are the applications of amplifying uniform current?

The applications of amplifying uniform current are vast and varied. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as audio amplifiers, power supplies, and signal processing circuits. It is also essential in power transmission systems to boost the strength of electrical signals over long distances.