Is it possible to be both an astronaut and astrophysicist?

In summary: You can't just neglect your "day job" to focus on a PhD. It's a really difficult path to follow.In summary, an astronaut who earns a PhD in astrophysics may have a successful career in astrophysics, but it takes a lot of time and effort to be successful.
riley4190
If someone earns phD in astrophysics and then he/she is selected to be an astronaut, is it possible that this person will have a REALLY successful career in astrophysics?
I've read so many times that after coming back to Earth astronauts are usually mentors and educators.
So, my question is: is it possible to be a successful astrophysicist after an ISS mission?

Physics news on Phys.org
What percentage of astrophysicists are selected for ISS missions? If you end up in that elite stratosphere of scientists/astronauts, I don't think you will need to worry about job prospects. Study hard and reach high! :smile:

Likes riley4190
Sally Ride comes to mind.

Peace,
Fred

Likes riley4190 and berkeman
nataananidze said:
is it possible that this person will have a REALLY successful career in astrophysics?

I don't think it's ever really happened. Look at, e.g. Harrison Schmitt. He didn't go back to geology. The closest might be Curt Michel, but he never went into space.

Likes riley4190
berkeman said:
Study hard and reach high!
Not only study but think different. You'll have to show how different you are from others so as to be specially chosen to be an astronaut.

Good luck! Hope to see you writing in PF from ISS.

Likes riley4190
Wrichik Basu said:
Not only study but think different. You'll have to show how different you are from others so as to be specially chosen to be an astronaut.

Good luck! Hope to see you writing in PF from ISS.

Thanks for the last sentence ^^

Likes berkeman and Wrichik Basu
Re: Lampton. But JDEM never happened.

Vanadium 50 said:
Re: Lampton. But JDEM never happened.
Right, Mike never made it to space. Must have frustrated the hell out of him to be selected for mission after mission (4 or 5 as I recall) and have all of them canceled or something that kept him from ever going. He did continue to do scientific research however (in cosmology) so he really was both an astronaut and a research scientist.

JDEM was the post-NASA activity. And that never happened. (In addition to the flights not happening)

I think fundamentally this is an issue with time. If you spend N years of your life as an astronaut, that's N years of your life you don't spend as a whatever. It's the same issue that vexes the people who come here and say "my plan is to get 3 PhDs, and then..."

1. Can someone simultaneously be an astronaut and an astrophysicist?

Yes, it is possible for someone to hold both titles. In fact, many astronauts also have backgrounds in science and engineering, including astrophysics.

2. What qualifications are needed to become an astronaut and an astrophysicist?

To become an astronaut, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in a STEM field, as well as extensive experience in a related field such as military aviation or scientific research. To become an astrophysicist, one typically needs a PhD in astrophysics or a related field.

3. Are there any astronauts who are also astrophysicists?

Yes, there have been several astronauts who also have backgrounds in astrophysics. Some notable examples include Sally Ride and Mae Jemison.

4. Are there any specific missions or projects where being an astronaut and astrophysicist would be particularly advantageous?

Yes, there are many missions and projects that require both skills. For example, astronauts on the International Space Station often conduct experiments related to astrophysics and space science.

5. Can someone switch between being an astronaut and an astrophysicist during their career?

Yes, it is possible for someone to switch between these roles during their career. Some astronauts may start off as astrophysicists and then become astronauts, while others may retire from their astronaut career and continue their work as astrophysicists.