Combining Identical LEDs: Power Increase or Not?

In summary, the question is whether combining two identical LEDs with the same spectral profile and power supply will result in a total power of 600mW. According to the concept of ETENDUE, the maximal intensity on a surface cannot be increased, but the total power should add up as long as the conditions for the LEDs remain the same. This can be achieved through technologies such as CECs or CPCs.
Learned
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone know the physical explanation about the following:

What happens if I combine two Identical LEDs with the exact same spectral profile (eg 350-450nm with 400nm center wavelength and peak).

Assuming the total power of each LED in watts is 300mW. Will the combination of the identical LEDs make for 600mW?

If so, why?

If not, Why?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

As long as the power supply situation for the LEDs does not change (and therefore both LEDs have the same conditions as the single LED before), you can just add the power.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard from people that they are not suppose to add up- although I got no reasonable explanation for why not.

Since you say it should add up. Could you please breifly explain why?

Learned said:
Thanks for the reply. I have heard from people that they are not suppose to add up- although I got no reasonable explanation for why not.

Thanks in advance

How you add light sources is limited by ETENDUE.

Look it up on Google..Also..Roland Winston..he's the father of this stuff..used to be at
U.of Chicago now at U. of Merced. Also, Juan Minano, Pablo Benitez, Julio Chavez in Spain have done a lot of work in this. There's a couple of books on Amazon.

Basically, area*sin(emission angle half angle) is a constant..in 2d..also called Lagrange Invariant ..this is covered well in books on Non-Imaging Optics.. also look for limits to concentration

so if you have an led without a lens emitting into 180 degrees then you can't concentrate that further. If you put another one next to it the far fields add up , but no concentration improvement possible.

Typical technology for moving flux from one place to another are CEC's (Compound Elliptical Concentrators) or CPC's (Compound Parabolic Concentrators).

I am available for consulting, btw.

Learned said:
Assuming that they are not arranged in a way that the light from A hits B in a significant amount or B blocks A it in other ways (and vice versa): You have a simple incoherent addition of two light sources.

The maximal intensity on a (small) surface cannot be increased, but I don't expect that you care about that, as you mentioned the total power.

1. How does combining identical LEDs affect their overall power output?

Combining identical LEDs does not necessarily increase their overall power output. In fact, it may even decrease it depending on the circuit design and the type of LEDs being used.

2. Can combining LEDs improve the brightness of a lighting system?

In some cases, combining LEDs can improve the brightness of a lighting system, but this is not always the case. If the LEDs are not matched properly or if the circuit is not designed to handle the combined power, it may not result in a noticeable increase in brightness.

3. Is there a limit to the number of LEDs that can be combined in a circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of LEDs that can be combined in a circuit. This limit is determined by the power supply and the circuit design. Exceeding this limit can lead to overheating and potentially damage the LEDs.

4. Will combining LEDs affect their lifespan?

Combining LEDs should not affect their individual lifespans. However, if the LEDs are not properly matched or the circuit is not designed to handle the combined power, it may lead to overheating and shorten the lifespan of the LEDs.

5. Can combining LEDs save energy?

Combining LEDs can potentially save energy, depending on the circuit design and the type of LEDs used. In some cases, it may allow for more efficient use of the LEDs and reduce the overall power consumption. However, this is not always the case and it depends on the specific setup.