Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to do statics and dynamics at the same time?

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    I have finished university level physics and calculus classes.

I am planning to take both Statics and Dynamics next semester at the same time.

I am just looking for a passing grade. Is it possible to do Dynamics simultaneously with Statics? I am willing to put few weeks to look into concepts of Statics.

Thanks. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If all you're looking for is a passing grade, then it's possible.

I've met some who have done it. Not many of them would recommend it, though.

Good luck to you!
  4. Oct 13, 2004 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me what concepts of Statics are used in Dynamics? :smile:
  5. Oct 13, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not so much the concepts, but the methodology.

Statics builds on concepts learned in physics I. Dynamics does as well, but they're trickier and require more experience to understand what's physically going on.

The added semester of practice and skill is what you'd really be missing out on.
  6. Oct 15, 2004 #5
    Statics is the study of systems in equilibrium, which is a special case of a dynamical system. Dynamics is the study of systems in motion. Dynamics and statics both use Newton's Laws to derive equations of motion in the case of dynamics and equations of equilibrium in the case of statics. In dynamics you will also come across conservation of mechanical energy, which is very useful for analyzing basic systems. The important thing is to know how to use and interpret Newton's Laws when analyzing a dynamical system when in motion or in equilibrium.
  7. Nov 3, 2004 #6
    I don't see any problem with taking both at once, PROVIDED you're determined to really apply yourself to learning the topics. I found dynamics more difficult than either statics or strength of materials.
  8. Nov 9, 2004 #7
    Thanks For Replies Guys. Appreciate It!

I was thinking I might do Statics and Strength of material. And put Dynamics for next semester. I don't know if that's possible or not. :tongue2:
  9. Nov 12, 2004 #8
    Some colleges offer an integrated statics & strength of materials class. They combine the two so that you always know the statics principles before they get applied to strength of materials topics. However, there may be a problem if you take the two classes independently (assuming they'll let you; in my experience, statics is a prerequisite for strength of materials). In order to solve any strength of materials problem, you have to do the statics first, to know what the applied forces are.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?