1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Is it possible to enrol a master's degree in engineering after bachelor's in math?

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    Hi

So I am currently in Grade 12 and I will be starting to apply for unversities soon. I am planning to apply for BSc in math but I just wanted to open graduate school option in engineering (especially in mechanical engineering). Is it possible to go master's program in mechanical engineering after BSc in math? Or do I need to double major in math and physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Is it possible to enrol a master's degree in engineering after bachelor's in math

If you plan to study graduate level mechanical engineering (or anything), you should major in it as an undergraduate. The assumption of graduate work is that you have completed an undergraduate degree or equivalent.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    Re: Is it possible to enrol a master's degree in engineering after bachelor's in math

It is quite possible to change fields going into grad school if you plan it a bit. Just figure out what the important courses are for your target field and take them. I'd say maybe after 4 or 5 courses, which would probably get you a minor in that field, you stand a good chance to jump. Most of my physics undergrad friends switched to some engineering field to do masters, and I think math to mech. engineering shouldn't be very difficult.

5. Sep 12, 2011 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, but here's someone who hasn't even started yet. He shouldn't make things needlessly difficult for himself.

6. Sep 12, 2011 #5

A minor in engineering including the core courses for ME would make it easier. We recently had a BA in Math graduate with a Ph.D in EE, so it's very possible. I don't know why you wouldn't just major in ME in the first place though.

Undergrads do have a tendency to over-complicate their college careers.

7. Sep 12, 2011 #6

My primary goal is to get phd and receive tenure track at a university. I know this is extremely challenging career path. I have heard of post-doc hell and associate professors get really stressed to get tenure track. And I might change my mind after my bachelor's degree.

The reason why I am choosing math (possibly double major with physics) is because I really like math. But also, I think a math degree or physics degree is really versatile. Other than the classical route of getting phd, I can open engineering, finance, law and medicine options (I am not really interested in the last two though).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook