Measuring Model Rocket Velocity: Is it Possible?

In summary, if you know the distance and the angle between the camera and the launch site, you can calculate the velocity of the rocket at every second.
LT72884
Question, if i record a video of a model rocket launching, and then falling, is it possible to get the actual (or extremely close) velocity every 1 second?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
LT72884 said:
Question, if i record a video of a model rocket launching, and then falling, is it possible to get the actual (or extremely close) velocity every 1 second?
If you know the distance, yes.

Likes LT72884
total distance or the distance at each second?
thanks

LT72884 said:
total distance or the distance at each second?
thanks
Distance between camera and launch site, then you'll need to measure the angle/change in angle.

Likes PeroK
You need to know (somehow) both the angle and the distance. For instance knowing the horizontal distance to the pad and the fact that the rocket went straight up is sufficient. In general two fixed cameras whose relative orientation is known will also suffice.

Likes Saba, PeroK, russ_watters and 1 other person
The trajectory of the meteor that blew up over that Russian town was figured out based on lots of videos from different angles.

Likes LT72884 and hutchphd
ok, so if i am 15 feet from launch site and it goes 1100 feet and takes 3 seconds to fall. how do i get the velocity of the rocket at every second or half second?
i know a bunch of rocket equations, but im trying to get the information from the cameras.

thanks

LT72884 said:
ok, so if i am 15 feet from launch site and it goes 1100 feet and takes 3 seconds to fall. how do i get the velocity of the rocket at every second or half second?
i know a bunch of rocket equations, but im trying to get the information from the cameras.

thanks
15 feet is way too close. You'll want to be at least 100 feet. And it may not work with a single camera due to the short flight and need to cover a large angular motion - you probably cant move the camera during the flight. Maybe 2 or 3 cameras could work. Measure your camera's field of view, then sketch a diagram of how it would look.

Likes hutchphd, LT72884 and BillTre
that, and knowing the exact distance it traveled fram by frame in the camera. Maybe i need to be asking a different question.
I am wanting to calculate the Cd from the drag force equation of a falling rocket when the drag force and cd are not known. I just did this with a car coasting over 70 seconds in neutral. I used some numerical methods techniques to find the Cd and coef of friction. I am now trying to do the same with a falling rocket.
but the way i did it with the car, i had a change in velocity and change in time that i knew since every 3 seconds or so, i recorded the speed of the car.

First you need to understand how big your numbers are (and how well you need to know them) Your "for instance" is wildly off......the missile will take >8s to fall (with no drag). How good is good enough.....?
The rest is an exercise in geometry. Suppose the rocket fills ~one pixel on the image. The line that contains that pixel and the exact optical center of the camera lens constrains the possible locus of the rocket in space. Even if you know the exact orientation and location of the camera, you still need more info. A second camera judiciously located is a possibility. Or you might be able to estimate the distance from the sounds. Incidentally the best way to calibrate the camera(s) orientation is to have known reference objects in all frames @russ_watters is correct that sketches are what you need.

As the great philosopher of the past century, Lawrence P. Berra said, "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

In theory, you have a series of pictures of a rocket over time, so you know the angles of the rocket's position, as well as the angle subtended by the rocket - i.e. it's apparent size. You have r, θ and φ from which you can calculate x, y and z. each as a function of t. Differences between two frames give you your velocity profile, and between three your acceleration profile.

However...
  • You want a large field of view to capture the motion, and a small field of view to get a good picture of the rocket. Can't have both with one camera.
  • If your camera is moving you need to figure out how exactly it's moving to separate its motion from the rocket's.
  • There are lots and lots of calculations to be done - 30 fps x 5 seconds = 150 frames, and you're probably doing several calculations per frame. 500? 1000?
  • Not all the measurements will be good. Glare, "lost in the sun", spotting where the plume ends and the nozzle begins, etc.
My colleagues who use sounding rockets film them from several distances and angles. They are not idiots. They do this for a reason. So while in theory, one camera is enough (plus some measurements with rulers) in practice you probably want more. How many more depends on what error bars you are willing to tolerate.

Likes Borek, PeroK, hutchphd and 2 others
LT72884 said:
it goes 1100 feet and takes 3 seconds to fall
This is only possible if the rocket were upside-down accelerating earthward. (And maybe not even then)

Likes russ_watters and hutchphd
Broadly speaking this is just a "simple" geometry problems. Try to read about how photogrammetry is done, these are the same principles.

Made more difficult by the fact your setup is moving, so you need to synchronize frames. Still doable, just more work and more sources of errors.

Likes BillTre
Depending on the size (and mass) of that rocket I might rather opt for some speedometer app running on an 'onboard' phone (the rugged kind, which can survive the landing).

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Rive said:
which can survive the landing).
If it's accelerating and covering 1100 feet in 3 seconds, it's not going to survive the landing,

You'll be lucky to recover the pieces without a shovel. :wink:

• Informative
Likes Rive
Vanadium 50 said:
If it's accelerating and covering 1100 feet in 3 seconds
Oooopsie.

That's definitely not freefall. Let's see, let's see...

LT72884 said:
i am 15 feet from launch site and it goes 1100 feet
... I would most definitely not try that at home:nb)

Last edited:
I'd been focusing on the ascent. If OP just wants drag coefficient, then they just need terminal velocity in freefall. A stationary video camera that captures the crash is enough, if you measure the distance after the crash and the trajectory is vertical. A few captured frames, distance, frame rate and field of view is all that's needed to compute the speed.

Also, it doesn't need to be dropped from 1,100 feet. A few hundred would be plenty for an ordinary model rocket. You might even consider lifting and dropping it from 50-100 feet with a drone. If this is a normal model rocket without an engine, the terminal velocity will almost certainly be under 100 mph and will achieve terminal velocity in just a few seconds.

1. Can model rocket velocity be accurately measured?

Yes, model rocket velocity can be accurately measured using various methods and tools.

2. What are some common methods for measuring model rocket velocity?

Some common methods include using a stopwatch and measuring the time it takes for the rocket to travel a known distance, using a Doppler radar gun, or using an altimeter to measure the rocket's altitude.

3. How do you calculate the velocity of a model rocket?

The velocity of a model rocket can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be done using the formula: velocity = distance / time.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of model rocket velocity measurements?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of model rocket velocity measurements, such as wind conditions, launch angle, and the weight and design of the rocket.

5. Can measuring model rocket velocity be helpful for improving rocket design?

Yes, measuring model rocket velocity can provide valuable data for improving rocket design, as it can help identify areas for improvement and optimize the rocket's performance.